Wattpad Original
Осталась ещё 1 бесплатная часть

Ch 10: Meet the Forsaken

Cassandra

The other side of Morningstar Enterprises?

It's clear Luce is purposefully changing the subject, but I still follow him as he collects my sisters, along with Dare and Mal. I wanted to discuss our deal further, but now I have to put it on pause while Luce acts all business like nothing happened.

I don't want to halt our agreement, and only part of that is because I can't stop thinking about how I've never had an orgasm that intense before.

And we didn't even have sex...

We all get into the private lift from the penthouse entrance hall. It only has a few buttons: the penthouse, a couple of floors I assume are more living quarters for other Forsaken, and Luce's office. My eyes widen when Luce removes a panel below the round buttons, revealing another set with strange signs on them I don't recognise.

He presses his thumb against a pad, and the new buttons light up. I notice that one button remains unlit, but before I can question it, we're moving and I'm distracted by how quick it is.

The lift dings and we step out into a part of the building I never knew existed. With no visible windows, I suspect we're underground. Who knew this lay underneath the building all this time? While the upper levels of Morningstar Enterprises are all sleek with modern design, this feels older. It must have been here since the building was first built—if not before.

We're standing in an expansive room with glass display cases covering the floor in neat rows. Overhead lights illuminate the room without making it too bright, and I step forward to get a better look at what's inside the glass cases. I feel like I'm visiting a museum as I discover old manuscripts, vases, an old music box, and a variety of other items. Most look ancient but there are a few that look newer.

"Amazing." Meg reaches out to touch the glass panel on a display case and I try to reach her to stop her. Before I can snatch her hand away, she pulls back when the glass lights up with golden symbols in a similar style to the ones in the lift. "Ouch!"

"Careful," Luce cautions. "They are all warded."

My gaze sweeps over the massive collection, a sense of disquiet settling over me. Somehow, I just know these aren't all good things. "What are they?"

"Treasures. Relics. Some cursed items." He walks between the rows of items, and everyone follows him like a line of ducks behind whoever they imprinted on. "We collect anything we come across. Especially ones that would be dangerous in the wrong hands. Clueless mortals can cause more damage than they realise by handling one."

Dare groans. "Yes. Let's not have another bubonic plague sweeping across Europe, please."

I share a stunned look with my sisters as we keep walking through the room, all of us making sure we're keeping our hands to ourselves. Looking beyond the rows, I notice doors along several of the walls, of which one looks to be reinforced steel. There are more symbols across the surface of the door but no sign of a lock or handle.

"What's behind that door?"

Silence greets my question, and for a moment I don't think I will get a reply, then finally Luce says, "Beyond that door is one of the seven seals keeping the veil between hell and earth in place."

Something about his tone sends an icy shiver down my spine. "You mentioned those before. The Hellbound are trying to break them. How many have they broken already?"

"Three."

Three out of seven are too many for my comfort. At least it must have been over hundreds if not thousands of years. Still, I don't like knowing that only four seals stand between me and the end of the world as we know it.