The Encounter

[2492 words]
3rd Person POV

Y/n awoke to the sound of her alarm. She picked her phone up from the nightstand next to her bed, tapping around a few times until she hit the "Stop" button. Summer had come and gone faster than the latest celebrity news, and today was the first day of junior year.

"Ugh," She sat up, stretching her arms above her head and letting out a yawn. " Why is getting up always the hardest part?" She placed her feet on the soft, furry rug next to her bed. It wasn't always hard to get up in the morning, but considering she was up late thinking about the classes she had chosen this year, it was a little bit of a struggle waking up before the sun.

Y/n picked up the pair of sweatpants next to her bed, pulling them on before shuffling across the hall into the bathroom. She flipped on the light, having to blink a few times to get used to the harsh white lights above her. Yawning once again, she brushed her hair and made sure every strand was perfectly in place. She couldn't stand it when her hair felt wrong, but she refused to style it or use any products other than dry shampoo and leave-in conditioner. Besides, who wants to wake up super early to do all that anyway? Shrugging off her mental rant, she brushed her teeth, rinsed any remaining toothpaste from the sink, and pushed herself up to sit on the corner of the counter. She lightly filled in her eyebrows to give them some definition and applied a light layer of mascara. She didn't see the point in wearing a full face of makeup every day, either.

"What to wear?" Y/n thought out loud, exiting the bathroom and returning to her bedroom, closing the door behind her. She approached her closet, sliding the door open to browse her wardrobe. Her mom always gave her a hard time for mostly picking jeans, sweatpants, graphic tees, and hoodies when she went shopping for school clothes. The only times she got cutesy feminine pieces were Christmas and her birthday.

She pulled a (f/c) sweatshirt off its hanger then reached down, grabbing a black t-shirt and a black pair of jeans from the shelves underneath the hanging clothes. "That should be fine," She laid the outfit on her bed. "I never got why people dress up on the first day back, anyway." Y/n rolled her eyes. She was tired of all the social expectations people gave into on the first day of school. She shrugged her pajamas off and changed into the clothes she picked out. She glanced at herself in the full length mirror on the back of her door, nodding once.

"Sweet."

Just then, her second alarm went off, letting her know she had to leave in 10 minutes. She had gotten her license over the summer, and her grandma was nice enough to give y/n her car for her 16th birthday. She grabbed her phone, unplugging the charger and turning off the alarm before slipping it in the pocket of her sweatshirt and heading to the kitchen.

"Hey sweetie," her mom greeted her while pouring coffee into a mug. "Ready for school?"

Y/n shrugged, grabbing a couple granola bars from the pantry and slipping them in her hoodie pocket. "I guess. It's not that big of a deal. The first day is always so boring," She pulled a can of (f/drink) from the fridge. "They just make us go around the classroom introducing ourselves, even though we've all been in school together since Kindergarten."

Y/n's mom chuckled. "Well, you have some new teachers every year, they have to get to know you, too. Besides, it would be more awkward if you didn't all know each other." She said, raising her mug to take a sip. She was right, it was easy to introduce yourself to the same people every year.

Y/n looked at the clock on the microwave. "Looks like I've gotta go, I love you! Have a good day at work!" She gave her mom a side hug, then grabbed her keys and backpack before slipping on her shoes on her way out the door.

"I love you too!" Her mom called out as she closed the door behind her. "That kid..." She shook her head, smiling, before walking into her bedroom to get ready for work.