37-38

Chapter 37 – First Day of Work

Currently, there were a total of 18 educated youths at the educated youth spot, so they formed pairs and rotated every 9 days.

Lu Xia was paired with Shen Qingqing, and she secretly felt relieved that she wasn’t paired with the female lead.

She glanced at Shen Qingqing and noticed the shy girl smiling at her, so Lu Xia returned the smile.

Gu Xiangnan and Jiang Junmo were paired together, but they couldn’t cook. They asked Sun Shengnan for help, and Jiang Junmo mentioned that he wouldn’t be able to do too much work, so he could give them his work points instead.

The others looked at his expression but didn’t say anything.

Once the arrangements were settled, the cooking rotation started today.

Then the group followed the old educated youths to the threshing ground in front of the brigade headquarters, waiting to be assigned today’s tasks.

While no one was paying attention, Lu Xia filled her water bottle with the spiritual spring water and joined everyone.

By the time they arrived, there were already many people at the threshing ground. Everyone knew that new educated youths had arrived in the village, so they curiously looked at them.

The most eye-catching among them were Gu Xiangnan and Su Man. Although they were dressed in ordinary clothes for work, their temperament and appearance didn’t resemble ordinary people.

Naturally, they attracted the attention of the villagers, especially the young men who were fixated on Su Man, while the young girls blushed while looking at Gu Xiangnan.

Of course, there were also many people looking at Jiang Junmo, but with his weak and pale appearance, it was evident that he wasn’t in good health and couldn’t work.

In the countryside, if someone couldn’t work, it was difficult to survive, so people just looked at him and weren’t particularly interested in him.

The new educated youth felt a bit embarrassed under the scrutiny, and some aunts even approached them to assess them.

“Oh my, the new educated youths are so good-looking. They’re sure to dazzle the young men and women in the village!”

“Look at this handsome young man. The young ladies and daughters-in-law won’t be able to walk properly when they see him!”

The comments were too straightforward, and even Gu Xiangnan, with his thick skin, felt a bit embarrassed.

Fortunately, the village chief arrived soon after and instructed the brigade leaders to assign tasks to the educated youths.

The current task in the fields was weeding the crops.

So the female educated youths were assigned to pull out the weeds, while the male educated youths not only had to weed but also transport the pulled out vegetables.

Lu Xia followed Sun Shengnan and the others to their designated area and began pulling out weeds from the corn seedlings.

The task was straightforward, but Lu Xia soon realized it wasn’t easy.

Firstly, the corn seedlings weren’t tall at the moment, only reaching up to her knees.

Regardless of whether she squatted or stood, she would accidentally touch them. The corn seedlings had tiny hairs that were particularly prickly, and even if she accidentally brushed against them, her hands would turn red.

Fortunately, she was wearing long sleeves; otherwise, her arms would have been in pain.

Secondly, her back became tired from constantly squatting. Remaining in a squat was tiring, and standing up and squatting down again was even more exhausting. It would have been great to have a small stool to sit on.