EPISODE ONE

1.

I had a more classy place in mind, when my fiancé, Evan, called and told me to get dressed, that he was taking me out to celebrate our engagement. Which is why I wore my pearl necklace and earrings.

Our taxi drove down a street in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood that was crowded with clubgoers waiting to get into Limelight. The hottest club in town. I couldn't believe he dragged me here. What was he thinking." I faced him. "Of all the places in the city, why here. Strip clubs are disgusting."

"Let's enjoy the moment. And besides. Gary wants to show us a good time."

Evan's friend, Gary, met us at the door. We followed him to the V.I.P section on the second floor where he introduced his girlfriend, Hannah.

"Congratulations!" Gary blurted out. "So! When is the big wedding."

"We haven't decided yet," I said.

"You guys should totally do a destination wedding," Hannah said from her seat. "My sister-in law had her wedding in Cabo, it was everything."

I tried my best to hide how uncomfortable I was. Especially when a half-naked girl walked past carrying a platter of sushi.

While Evan and Gary caught up, I stood at the railing that overlooked the entire nightclub. Hannah joined me. She leaned against the railing and looked down at the dancers.

"It makes you feel insecure, right. God, I need to go to the gym. Or start back starving myself," she joked. She looked at me. "Your body is killer. Do you work out. Don't tell me that you're one of those naturally thin, girls." Hannah focused back on the dancers. "Could you ever see yourself doing this. Stripping?"

"Not really, I mean look at these girls, how do they even sleep at night."

Hannah was indifferent. "I don't know about these girls....but when I danced, I slept like a baby."

I regretted ever saying anything. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you."

Hannah laughed. "It's alright. I don't come from money and times were hard." Hannah lowered her empty drink. "I've had way too many mojitos. Come to the washroom with me?"

2.

On the way to the washroom, a waitress bumped into Hannah. A drink from the platter spilled onto Hannah's shirt.

"I am so sorry."

Hannah was kind about it. "Don't worry. I'll just stick my shirt under the dryer."

Hannah continued to the washroom. I helped the waitress pick up a few of the napkins. I handed them to her. And when I did, I recognized her.

"Marisol? Marisol Gonzalez?"

We both were reluctant to hug, and when we finally did, it was quick. Marisol was wearing yellow tight spandex shorts that hugged her hips and a white tube top that had Limelight written across the lowcut bust.

"The last time I saw you, we were both fourteen years old," Marisol said.

Marisol noticed the ring on my finger. I shily moved my hand. "My fiancé, Evan, proposed last night. We're here celebrating with some of his friends."

"Congratulations!"

"Thank you. So. How have you been. How is Mrs., Gonzalez, your mother." After I asked about her mother, her mood went grey.

"She...passed away last December....breast cancer."

"I'm so sorry."

Hannah finally joined from the washroom. "See, you don't even notice."