CH. 10: Dragomira

"Are you really sure you want to do this, sister? If you have any doubts, you'd better stay." Alexei tried for the last time to talk his sister out of tempting fate.

"I'm one hundred percent sure I want to do it," Dragomira said with determination.

"Without you, things will fall apart here. I'm a soldier, I can't walk in court intrigues," said Alexei.

"That's why father will help you. I'm sure that together you can keep it here until I return with Cassius as well." Dragomira assured him. She trusted his abilities.

"And how long do you plan to be on your rescue mission, Dragomira?" her father asked. "You can't look for him forever."

"I have no idea," she replied. "I have no idea how wide the Forest of the Dead is. I have no idea what is behind it or what awaits me there. And I have no idea how to save Cassius. However, I will try as long as my heart believes."

"With that kind of attitude, you may never come back," noted Alexei.

"Toska's fate is secondary to me now," she admitted her feelings. "But I leave the kingdom in good hands."

When they could no longer go with her, they at least escorted her to the borders of the kingdom to the edge of the Forest of the Dead. Under the treetops, a thick darkness rolled in. An eerie whisper came from there. The forest struck terror into even the bravest of warriors, but Dragomira was determined to overcome her fear and dive into its darkness.

"I still don't like you going alone," said Alexei. "There should be someone with you..."

"It's better if I go alone. I can travel during the day and people need rest. I'll be faster on my own," said Dragomira.

"Come back," Alexei told her. "It will be terrible to just have to wait in ignorance of what is wrong with you. Not knowing when you'll be back or if you'll come back at all."

"Try not to think about it. You used to not know me and you could live without me. You can do it now." she told him.

"You can't turn back time, sister. Without you, there will forever be a hole in my life that nothing can fill," said Alexei. "You have to come back."

"I will," she promised, though she had no idea if she would be able to keep her promise.

She said goodbye to her father and brother. She turned her back on them and made her way to the Forest of the Dead. She didn't hesitate. She didn't look back. She knew that if she did, she wouldn't be able to bear the pain written in her brother's eyes. She knew her father would keep a cool face, but Alexei was not like that. He was worried about her. She knew she wouldn't be able to leave after that.

Her horse's footsteps carried her deeper and deeper into the bowels of the forest. She felt herself moving away from the safety of Toska. She felt her brother's gaze on her back. A small voice in her head begged her to turn around and go back. She didn't do it. She forced herself to keep looking ahead. She allowed the shadow of the forest to consume her.

She had been on the road for several hours. The day was already creeping into the world. The forest showed it only with a few rays of light that managed to penetrate through the dense tree crowns. The branches intertwined like snakes. They seemed lively, as if they were sneaking. A tangle of branches and leaves arched over her head like a canopy. The country was mute. There was a very special atmosphere. A soft whisper carried in the air. It wasn't the whisper of the wind playing with the leaves in the treetops. There was not even the slightest breeze. They were the quiet voices of the forest. Maybe the voices of the trees, which as Bari said are alive, and maybe the voices of the horrors hiding in their shadows. It seemed to her as if they were calling her name.

"Dragomira... Dragomira... Dragomira..." came from the silence.

She told herself that it only seemed to her, that her senses were playing with her, but the whispers continued. "Dragomira... Dragomira... Dragomira..."

She tried to ignore it. The forest is just trying its perverted tricks on her. She tried to ignore it and focused only on her journey. She held the torch firmly in her hand and made her way through the darkness. The bright light of the fire cut through the gloom of the forest. The motionless bodies of the trees at attention cast unnatural shadows.

Maybe the Forest of the Dead isn't dangerous because of the monsters hiding in its bowels or the trees that live, she told herself, but because of the way it plays with you.