1 : Pelican Town

Y/N'S POV

        Don't make eye contact. My number one rule for any scenario really, the mayor spoke into my ear with a smile that could brighten hundreds of nights- it was nearly uncomfortable. Back in Zuzu City you didn't get many smiles and when you did, they were mocking. Passive aggressive. Dangerous. I did my best to give back a soft grin, ushering the older man as he spoke, "It's not every day someone new moves in. It's quite a big deal!"

        I had to stop myelf from rolling my eyes as the ginger haired woman next to him let out a slight chuckle. "It's true," she elbowed me gently, to which I took a slight step away.

        "So.. You're moving into your grand father's cottage?" I flinched at the mention of my dead grandfather- the only member of my family who gave a shit about where I was right now.. Hell, mom hasn't even called. I shook my head as the mayor's smile faltered, slightly. We both took in the mess of the place, trees overgrown, weeds spread like pollen across the land and the house had seen better days to say the least. As if reading my thoughts, he continued with a happy tone I was certain he couldn't mean, "It's a good house.. Very.. Rustic."

        It took everything in me to hold back my laughter. On cue, the woman spoke my mind, "Rustic.. That's one way to put it. Crusty might be a little more apt, though." 

        "Robin! Rude," Mayor Lewis swatted the woman's arm before sighing, "Don't listen to her, Y/n. She's just trying to make you dissatisfied so you buy one of her house upgrades."

        She isn't really wrong though.. I couldn't help but think as she let out an amused laugh. "Hmmph. Caught me."

        After more instructions I honestly didn't pay much mind to, Mayor Lewis and Robbin took off. Leaving me to start clearing out the unreasonable amount of debris, stones and logs cluttering the farm land. I wasn't surprised it hadn't been kept up, but I suppose I had been under the impression it would be well.. Easier. Sweat poured like rain down my neck as I cleared the logs, placing them up against the small cabin to be used as firewood later. A sigh escaped my lips as I trudged up the few steps to my porch. Opening the door, I closed it tight behind me, reaching to lock it. 

        I stopped. Breath catching in my throat as my hand clasped the cold metal of the door knob. No lock? I looked up at the ceiling, pushing my hair out of my face. I stopped myself from cursing up at my grandfather- he wasn't the best with protecting himself. Though I thought he'd at least have the sense to put a lock on his door.. That explains why I wasn't given a key. 

        I pressed my back against the thin wood, unable to stop the tears that welled in my eyes. The door creaked at my weight and I laughed to myself. "Just one night.. I'll grab a lock in the morning."

        I woke up bright and early. Too early considering I'd slept for an hour max. I squinted, blinded by the sunlight streaming like delicate rainbows into the room- reflecting off of my irises. I covered my head with my weighted blanket, groaning loudly. "No lock. No curtains. I'm quitting."

        After a moment of irritation, I pushed the blanket off of me, sitting up. One year. One year to fix this place up and I'd sell it off to someone better fit. Just need to fix it up a bit. Slinking off of my bed, I slipped into my boots before pulling on my cargo pants and cropped tank top. Before I could continue my typical routine; I paused. "Okay, what the fuck."