CHAPTER 3 THE CONTEST

Upon entering the large conference hall, an usher directs the Desiré family to their table near the front, next to the stage. The family causes quite a stir as they glide past other tables. Their matching orange, yellow, and red Ankara print outfits immediately become the subject of discussion.

Ashhur and Amaziah, in their identical modern Ankara-styled suits, follow directly behind the usher. Their confident strides and impeccable attire draw curious glances from fellow attendees. Meanwhile, their mother, Charlene, elegantly glides forward in a bell-bottom pantsuit. The high-collared jacket features puffed sleeves, adding a touch of sophistication.

Their sister, Ariel, trails not far behind. Her outfit mirrors Charlene's in the upper half, except for a plain red sash adorned with a delicate bow. However, Ariel's ensemble takes an unexpected twist—a flair, tea-length skirt completes her suit, adding a playful yet graceful element.

Arriving at their designated table, the usher pulls out a chair for Charlene, who graciously accepts the seat. Ariel follows suit, settling into her own chair. The boys, Ashhur and Amaziah, help themselves to the chairs on the opposing side of the table. Their seating arrangement ensures that all family members face the stage, ready to engage with the event unfolding before them.

A few moments later, a server approaches their table with menus and a jug of water in hand. She informs the family that the contest will commence after dessert. Once she ensures everyone's comfort, she departs, leaving them to ponder their dinner choices as she attends to another table.

"What about the kabob platter for appetizers? Each person gets five different kabobs," suggests Ashhur.

"That's a good suggestion, Ash. That way, we can all share," agrees Charlene.

"Uh-hmm. I appreciate the variety—lamb, fruit and cheese, pork, prunes with peanut butter, and Blue Marlin. The meat-inclusive kabobs are paired with steamed veggies on the skewers and a light, spicy cream sauce for an extra kick of flavour," notes Amaziah.

"I suppose we can each select our own drinks?" queries Ariel. "Personally, I would've preferred the cauliflower cream dips with whole-grain breadsticks over the kabobs. They seem to offer a more reasonable portion size."

"Next time, sweet pea," her mother consoles. "What drinks would you like?"

"Guava juice for me," Ashhur snickers.

Glaring at her youngest brother, Ariel growls, "Pineapple for me."

"Cherry juice for me. What about you, ma?" Amaziah says suddenly, attempting to divert his mother's attention from the subtle tension between his siblings.

"Mango juice will do. Ashhur, behave yourself. Good," Charlene states, not missing her youngest son's subtle jab at his sister. Trying not to look guilty, Ash nods in acceptance of her reproof.

They then settle on their choices for the main course and dessert. Amaziah opts for beef lasagna with a garden salad and sweet potato pie as his main course, followed by avocado ice cream for dessert. Ariel, on the other hand, selects barbeque pork with baked macaroni and cheese and potato salad. For dessert, she indulges in a mango smoothie with apricot chunks.

Ashhur selects steamed fish with Creole rice and vegetables, accompanied by green banana pie as his main course, followed by banana cheesecake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert. Meanwhile, Charlene opts for stewed lamb chops with coconut rice and steamed vegetables, and for dessert, cheese quiches paired with a passion fruit smoothie laden with chunks of pineapple.

The family savours their scrumptious meals, extending compliments to the chef for an excellent job. They aren't the only ones; the conference hall is abuzz with satisfied diners, all vocalizing their pleasure in the fine Caribbean cuisine to each other and their servers.