Chapter 40

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.
𝕂𝕒𝕚 𝕂𝕚𝕤𝕙𝕚𝕞𝕠𝕥𝕠
»--•--«

"I need to show you something," Emmaline grabbed my hand, leading me through the unfamiliar hallways

"Where are we going?" I asked, tightening my grip around her fingers as I felt the dark place somehow get colder.

"I have a surprise," she looked at me over her shoulder with a dimpled smile, her eyes gleaming with an unsettling intensity. As we walked, the air grew heavier, and my heart pounded with a growing sense of dread. Eventually, she stopped in front of a nondescript door, her smile widening as she turned to face me.

"We're here," she whispered, her voice echoing in the eerie silence.

I hesitated, a sinking feeling settling in the pit of my stomach. Something about this didn't feel right. But before I could voice my concerns, Emmaline pushed open the door, revealing a dimly lit room. Inside were three figures, their faces obscured by shadows. My heart lurched as I recognized them-the people who had kidnapped us once before, their eyes filled with malice as they stared back at me.

Emmaline's smile widened unnaturally as she turned to face me, her eyes gleaming with an eerie light, "I found them."

"Found..."

"I think they're the only ones remaining— well, from the people who didn't vanish into thin air at least before our parents got to them," she waved a hand, looking back at them, "but it's better than nothing."

"We need to call our parents then, have them come here and—"

"What?" Her head whipped back to me, her eyebrows lowering, "no, that's not why I got you here."

"What do you mean?"

Her small frown faded away, replaced with a soft smile as she took a step towards me with her hands behind her back, "I need you to do something for me."

The air around us grew heavier with each step, and my heart thudding fasted in my chest for some reason until I was looking down at her once she was right in front of me, "what is it?"

"I need you to kill them," she said, her voice chilling me to the bone. I felt my blood ran cold at how calmly she said that, how natural.

"You want me to do what?" My voice wavered, my eyes darting between Emmaline and the shadowy figures in the room.

"Kill them," she repeated, revealing her hands from behind her back, a gun in her right one as she grabbed my own, handing me the weapon, "just get this over with and then we can finally leave this place and be safe. Then I'll be safe. Isn't this what you want?"

This was all I wanted. For her to be safe from all of this, for her to forget all about it, to let herself be happy like she once was. I would do whatever it takes, I'd kill for it to happen. But...