nine

(A/N: It seems I have attracted a lot of Czechian hockey fans who have been watching Worlds here! I don't really have many ideas left for this ff, but I thought I'd give a small, kind of silly update for the newcomers who have found themselves here. Thank you for bearing with my (probably bad) description of a Czech man because I am a born and raised Canadian lololol. If you like my writing, I would love if you checked out my other fics, they're all other hockey players! Děkujeme za vaši podporu <3)

The sudden sound of the heavy medal door opening startled the two awake, limbs still twisted up in one another.

 Maddie was the first to shoot up, her heart racing at the sudden noise, while Lukas was still stirring awake. Everyone always told him he slept like the dead, and today was no exception.

 The janitor's eyes widened in surprise as he took in the scene before him, Maddie standing amidst the scattered sweaters of their makeshift bed.

 Lukas groaned sleepily, rubbing his eyes as he sat up, his gaze following Maddie towards the door. He blinked in confusion, still half-asleep and disoriented. "What's going on here?" The janitor asked, his voice filled with confusion.

Maddie's cheeks flushed with embarrassment as she tried to gather herself, glancing back at Lukas who was now fully awake and looking just as bewildered as the janitor. "Um, we got locked in here accidentally," she explained, her voice slightly shaky.

Lukas ran a hand through his messy hair while standing up, trying to muster some composure. "Yeah, we didn't mean to stay the night," he added, giving the janitor an apologetic look.

The janitor raised an eyebrow, clearly taken aback by the unusual situation he had stumbled upon. After a moment of processing, he sighed and shook his head. "Well, I'll have to report this," he said with a hint of annoyance.

"Woah woah woah, wait a minute," Lukas said, taking a step forward and slightly guarding Maddie, "We can work this out, right?"

The janitor chuckled, pulling out a sort of walkie-talkie he had strapped to his belt. "I'm afraid there isn't any negotiation here, young man."

Lukas' eyes widened as he glanced at Maddie for a moment, thinking of what to say. "Right, of course," he said politely, looking back at the janitor, "What was your name again?"

The janitor raised an eyebrow, seemingly getting distracted and stopping what he was doing, "William."

"William..."  Lukas said with a grin, stepping closer to him as Maddie stayed frozen, "Nice to meet you, I'm Lukas."

"Uh, okay... I'm not really seeing the point." William said, confused at Lukas' attempt to charm them out of this situation.

 "Look, Bill," Lukas said, putting a hand on the janitor's shoulder, "Can I call you that? You seem like the type of guy who would want to be called that."

William glanced down at Lukas's hand on his shoulder, a confused expression crossing his face. "Uh, sure, I guess you can call me Bill," he replied.

Lukas' grin widened, "Great, Bill," he said, giving the janitor a friendly pat on the back. "Listen, we just got a little... stuck in here last night. It's a long story, but we're harmless, I promise."

Bill let out a loud laugh as he backed away from Lukas. "Stuck, huh? Well, I've heard some stories over the years, but this one takes the cake." He scratched his head, eyeing the disheveled locker room and the two young adults before him, "How'd you get in here anyway?"

"Well, I guess you could say I work here!" Lukas exclaimed, motioning vaguely towards the locker room behind him.

Bill raised an eyebrow, clearly skeptical. "Work here, huh? Doing what exactly?" he asked, folding his arms across his chest.