Chapter 23: Eva(ngeline)

I think I'm in love with you Vincent Evergreen but my fear of abandonment and meaningless love has swallowed me whole and created a lump in my chest which has become an embodiment for my feelings. Is what I wish I had said; but instead I was forced to say:
"Never mind"
As a result of my body denying him to have access to my emotions. My cheeks felt warm and my lips began to swell as I turned away from him trying my best to find a hair tie.
"What are you looking for?" His tone seemed defensive but I chose not to take it personally.
"I need a hair tie do you have one?" I held my hair up with my hands at the back of my head as I watched Vinnie step out the bedroom and down the hall toward his bathroom. I let one hand go of my hair and it rested by my side. I quickly looked up as the door creaked slightly assuming it was Vinnie I reached my hand out without further reaction to see that it was not,in fact, Vinnie but...his cat? I instantly let go of my hair and pulled it over one of my shoulders before squatting down.
"Hello gorgeous!" My voice was high pitched and baby like as my eyes glistened at the feel of her thick white fur. My smile widened as she brushed her head against my hand lovingly and i placed my head against my knee to admire her bluebell eyes before I heard Vinnie come through the door and slightly clear his throat.
"Is this one okay?" He didn't question the fact that I was close to swaddling his cat but instead his eyebrows,usually bold and prominent, were softly creased.
"Yes thats fine. Thank you." I replied sharply whilst standing up straight to grab the hair tie from his hand. "Your cat is really pretty." I said at attempt to break the silence. She brushed against my ankles and weaved in and out of my legs.
"Her names Luna, I got her last year. Emotional support animal or whatever" I chose not to press on his back handed joke, he seemed slightly uncomfortable. I squatted down once more and picked Luna up as she continued to tickle my legs with her fur. I cradled her in my arms before looking back up at Vinnie.
"She's really cuddly" I said softly whilst stroking her head with my thumb.
"She's just an attention seeker. But she seems to like you" he exchanged glances between us both before adding "We should get to bed. I'll sleep on the couch if you want" his request caused me to pause. Do I agree and let him sleep on the couch? Or do I lay in bed with him AND his cat...