CHAPTER 8: WHISPERS IN THE GROVE

As the first light of dawn began to seep into the sky, the last stars flickered and faded away

As the first light of dawn began to seep into the sky, the last stars flickered and faded away. Lanecea stepped quietly into the ancient oak grove, the canopy overhead casting dappled shadows on the forest floor. The air was cool and still, filled with the earthy scent of leaves and the faint whisper of a breeze through the branches. Stryker and Hunter, her loyal white wolf familiars, moved silently beside her, their presence both protective and comforting.

Lanecea's heart was heavy, her mind a whirlwind of thoughts and worries. She could not share these burdens with her children or her relatives, and Storm was distant, living primarily with his wife, Herja, and their children. Her steps faltered slightly as she reached the heart of the grove, a secluded clearing surrounded by towering oak trees.

From the shadows, the dryads emerged. Elderon, Thorne, and Rowan stepped forward, their forms shifting seamlessly from tree to human. Their eyes, reflecting the wisdom and age of the forest, focused on Lanecea with concern and understanding. Rowan, the youngest and most handsome of the dryads, offered her a gentle smile, his presence a constant source of comfort.

"Lanecea," Elderon greeted her with a nod. "You look troubled."

Lanecea sighed, her breath misting in the cool air. "I am. I cannot speak to my children about what weighs on my heart, nor can I confide in my relatives. Storm is not here, and I feel...burned. Alone."

Thorne stepped closer, his eyes filled with sympathy. "We are here for you, always."

Lanecea nodded, grateful for their support. She took a deep breath, steadying herself. "I have decided to invite not only my sister, Adelaide, and her family to the Echoes of Fort Cataraqui event but also Herja and her children, Thorson and Revna."

Rowan's brow furrowed slightly. "That is a risky move, Lanecea."

"I know," Lanecea admitted, her voice trembling slightly. "But if Adelaide comes, it will be the perfect time for the extended family to meet. Herja won't know about my relationship with Storm. If she hears her children calling me 'Mamma,' she will think it's part of the performance, just reenactors playing a role."

Elderon nodded thoughtfully. "And this will allow Storm to focus more on protecting LaSalle, without having to travel between his wife and mistress."

"Yes," Lanecea agreed. "I miss my family, my stepchildren. If we can bring everyone together, even under the guise of a historical event, it might help."

Rowan stepped closer, his gaze steady and reassuring. "You are doing the right thing, Lanecea. Your heart is in the right place."

Lanecea looked up at Rowan, her eyes meeting his. For a moment, she saw the depth of his feelings for her, the unwavering support he offered. She felt a pang of guilt for not acknowledging his loyalty and affection more often.

"Thank you, Rowan," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "You're always here for me."

Rowan reached out, taking her hand in his. "Always," he said softly. "You are never alone."