Chapter 3: Exploring

Evony led the way out of the building they'd just entered, Admina a step behind her. Rather than follow the breezeway back to the main building, she stepped out between the columns and crossed through one of the gardens that always seemed to border the walkways.

The bright sunshine made Evony squint as sweat formed on her back and neck, which she did her best to ignore. The garden, filled with big white, blue, and pink flowers, buzzed with numerous fat bees. Their droning gave a feeling of calm, warm sleepiness that made Evony think back to childhood days of running through fields barefoot, of napping underneath trees and playing at adventures with her sisters.

But she had her duty to perform, and to do it well, Evony needed more information. So she shook off the impulse to run about like she was a child again and continued through the garden into the grassy expanse that lay between it and the wall.

She assumed that was forethought and approved. With a few dozen passus of empty grass, it would be almost impossible for an invading force to sneak up to the palace without being spotted. And that only if they could get by the walls. Really, the only way she could see the palace falling was through treachery.

Turning as they reached the centre of the grass and Evony and Admina headed down along the wall, away from the building that now housed them. "Do you know the palace well?" she asked Admina. She realized she really didn't know much about her new friend and had to admit to being curious. As well as figuring an insider's perspective could only benefit her.

Admina shook her head. "Miletum is a great distance from here. Not as great as Gormain or Aoi, but very far. It's my first time here. If I hadn't been summoned...I don't believe I'd have come without the call the emperor sent out. My brother— He was considering a match for me with Azar, Deniz, or Flanna."

"Your brother? Why would he be considering the match? It's your decision, is it not?" Evony asked, frowning.

Her friend's eyes were wide as she looked at Evony. "My brother is Rector. Our father passed this last year. We have only just come out of mourning," she replied, her focus dropping to the grass. "He is to decide the match for me. He... This competition has interfered with his original plans."

Evony's gaze narrowed. To let anyone besides yourself choose your lifemate seemed like sheerest insanity to her, and doubly so for your brother. She also didn't much care for the way Admina spoke of her brother, especially given the way she'd acted with regards to staying in the competition.

Admina appeared sweet, kind, and intelligent. Maybe a little shy and hesitant, but with time she thought that could be fixed. Inwardly, Evony nodded. She liked Admina and thought she would make a solid empress. She certainly would be of no danger to the emperor and would likely be a gentle partner. Which, given the stories she'd heard of the emperor, he needed as a balance. Provided the emperor seemed a decent sort and that Admina was interested, she would do her best to help her win the competition.

But now she needed something to break the growing silence between them. It was a heavy thing, and more oppressive even than the heat of the day. Evony glanced around, and noticed the long stone and wood building they were approaching. Her nose twitching at the familiar scent of hay, sweat, and droppings, the unique combination alerted her to what the place had to be.

She smiled and Admina and tilted her head at what her nose told her was a stable. "Do you ride much?"

Admina looked up at her then, staring for a moment then shook her head. "I can, but I've never ridden for much more than an hour or two."

"We'll have to go out. I can teach you some tricks, if you want to learn. And nothing is better than racing across the ground on a horse, with the wind in your hair and the sun on your back. We Amazzi do a lot of riding, so I've got more than my fair share of tricks. Though I was sad I couldn't bring my mare with me. But she wouldn't have liked the journey by ship, and I would have worried about her."