Chapter 7

"Well, don't you look extremely happy," Kaydence said as Brooklyn walked into the hotel's event room that had been chosen for tonight's rehearsal dinner. "And since you weren't with me last night, who were you with?" 

Brooklyn looked around to see if any of the other bridesmaids setting up the room were paying attention to her and Kaydence. None were, but Kaydence's comment seemed to garner the attention of Lexus, the event planner. Since her and Wyatt had shared an explosive kiss in her office, Brooklyn was sure Lexus was drawing her own conclusions, but she just politely smiled and continued working.

"And don't even think about lying to me," Kaydence gripped Brooklyn's arm and pulled her into an empty meeting room next door. "You and Wyatt both missed brunch today too."

"I didn't know today's brunch was an event we had to host."

"It wasn't, but you and Wyatt were both missing. You slept with him didn't you?" Kaydence asked, as her brown eyes grew big with anticipation.

"Why would you think that?" Brooklyn asked pretending to admire the wooden conference table.

"Oh don't play stupid," Kaydence said lifting an eyebrow. "Remember, I know how you look after a night with Wyatt."

Brooklyn glanced up from the conference table to Kaydence. "Ok, we had sex last night," she blurted out unable to contain her smile.

"I knew it!" Kaydence yelped as she clasped her hands together in excitement. "How was it?"

Brooklyn sighed as she sat down in a chair around the table. "It was amazing," she said as she let her head fall back to stare at the ceiling. "Better than amazing, but that's part of the problem."

"How so?" Kaydence asked in confusion.

Brooklyn raised her head and thought about the best way to describe her feelings. "I've spent the last couple years convincing myself that Wyatt Lexington was one of my biggest mistakes. But now, after enjoying his company for the last few days and mind-blowing sex, I'm falling for him again, just like that."

"It's not the same this time," Kaydence said as she sat down next to Brooklyn. "Neither of you are in the same place and Wyatt has apologized profusely for stealing your campaign, so I don't see a problem in exploring a relationship."

"That is the problem," Brooklyn breathed. "He apologized but how do I know he wouldn't betray my trust again. How can I trust him with my heart when last time, he threw my love back in my face."

"I understand," Kaydence said as she gently placed her hand on Brooklyn's arm. "But sweetie, although I knew you loved Wyatt back then, you never told him that..."

"He should have known I loved him. He was my everything."

"You have to tell men how you feel, not assume they know. And besides," Kaydence paused. "Wyatt wasn't ready for your love before, but Justin and I have talked to him and I assure you, he's ready now."

Brooklyn glanced away from Kaydence as she let her words sink in. He still should have known. She wasn't ready to give Wyatt the benefit of the doubt. I have to protect my heart, she thought as she pushed out of her mind the possibility that her heart had ever stopped loving him.

*

Brooklyn glanced around the rehearsal dinner event space before taking a seat at a table located in the back of the room. It seemed most of the bridal party had arrived except Wyatt. She'd spent most of the afternoon helping Kaydence with some last minute preparations before tomorrow's wedding and was glad that Kaydence told her the rehearsal dinner was open seating. She wasn't trying to avoid Wyatt, but she appreciated an evening out of the spotlight so she could gather her thoughts.

"Is this seat taken?"

Brooklyn looked behind her shoulder at Tim, one of Justin's groomsmen. "No, it isn't," she responded wishing she had chosen to sit in the front of the room with the rest of the bridal party. Tim's silky blonde hair, tall physique and vivid green eyes would make most women swoon...but not Brooklyn. She much preferred Wyatt's mysterious dark features and bad-boy sex appeal.

"You look like a queen tonight Brooklyn," Tim said looking her up and down. Oh man, I hope I don't have to suffer through his lame lines all night. Tim was an okay guy, but Brooklyn wasn't in the mood to entertain him or stroke his ego. Suddenly, Tim's lively face grew more serious as something caught his attention behind her. Wyatt, she thought even before she turned around. When she did, she almost laughed at the death stare Wyatt was giving Tim.

"Chill, man, I'm leaving," Tim said as he smiled at Brooklyn and left the table.

"Did you have to look at him like that?" Brooklyn asked once Wyatt had sat in the seat Tim had vacated.

"If he felt intimidated then he isn't man enough for you anyway."

"Do you hear yourself?" Brooklyn said with a laugh as she shook her head.

"I'm protective of things that are mine," he said as if that justified his actions.

"That may be," Brooklyn said leaning in closer to him. "But I'm not an object and I'm not your possession."

"Maybe not, but you are my woman."

"Not anymore."

"Oh come on," Wyatt said as he placed both hands on either side of her chair and pulled her in between his legs. "You belong to me just as much as I belong to you so don't act like we didn't possess each other last night in the most intimate way possible." 

Brooklyn wasn't sure what was sexier to her. The fact that even now, she could tell how much he wanted her. Or the fact that he said that she was his woman.

"If I remember correctly, we possessed each other several times," she whispered in his ear. He slightly quivered when she'd moved in to place a kiss on his neck.

"You better not kiss me like that or else I might be tempted to ditch this rehearsal."

"The best man and maid of honor can't ditch the rehearsal before the wedding," Brooklyn said in a playful tone. "But they can leave early if they need to have a private discussion about the wedding...about the wedding, of course"

A sly smile filled Wyatt's face. "I like the way you think. Good thing I booked the suite for one more night."

"Hmm...that's a little presumptuous of you," she said leaning in closer. All she could do was smile because they both knew one night of passionate love would never have satisfied either of them. The day after the wedding she was going back to San Francisco so she wanted to enjoy as much of Wyatt as she could before she left.

Suddenly, Justin's voice filled the room prompting the start of the rehearsal dinner.

"We'll continue this in the bedroom," he said and surprised her with a sweet kiss that quickly deepened. When Wyatt released her lips, she glanced around the room and was glad that most the attendees were intently listening to Justin.

When her eyes returned to Wyatt, she momentarily stopped breathing. I still love him, she thought quickly turning back to Justin so that Wyatt wouldn't be able to see the realization clearly reflected in her eyes. She tightly closed her eyes before opening them again. What am I going to do now?