Chapter 11

Twenty Dollars-Worth of Love

Chapter 11

The midnight wind blew my hair back as I leaned my head on the slightly opened window of his car, letting the fresh breeze relax me. Alex came about roughly fifteen minutes after I called him, and surprisingly he didn’t ask why when I called him. Once he heard my voice on the other line he immediately asked where was I, and told me to wait for him. I did, and thankfully he didn’t ask any questions when he got there. He simply handed me a jacket which I assumed is his, and drove off. I didn’t even want to talk about what happened, not now. Maybe I’ll tell him once I cleared my mind up, but at this moment I had no intention of telling him or anyone else about what happened.

Slowly my gaze went to the rearview mirror and I tried to study his face— his face was unreadable, and I can’t put what he’s feeling right now. His knuckles were gripping the steering wheel tightly and his lips were formed in a tight line; it was as if he was angry or something.

Of course he’s angry, you woke him up in the middle of the night and made him drive you home, my conscience said. Suddenly I felt bad that I called him but hey, he drove here on his own free will, right?

Not. Probably because it would be ungentlemanly of him to leave me out here alone or because he knows I’m stupid enough not to bring any money with me. Great, now I really look like I’m playing this damsel in distress card.

I turned my gaze to my reflection on the small mirror, well not really my whole reflection because I could barely see half of my face but I can clearly see that I look so unattractive at the moment. My eyes were puffy from all the crying, my nose is as red as a tomato, and my blush on is now nothing more than smears of pink tint.

Surprisingly Alex spoke for the first time since he came to pick me up. “Are you alright?” he said, his voice was a bit husky and his face was still as hard as a rock.

Am I alright? How can I be alright? Can’t he see my pathetic face right now? “I-I’m fine,” I lied averting my gaze from the rearview mirror and turning to fidget my hands on my lap in the most awkward way. Oh well, I’m not going to be me if I don’t act like this.

“You know I’m not going to drop this case, Sky,” he said, his voice was more intense this time and his jaw was now tensed. Oh, I so didn’t need him to be mad at me right now. I know he has the right to ask me what happened but can’t he give me some time?

“I-I promise I’ll tell you on Monday,” I said subconsciously, right now I just want to close my eyes and let the relief of sleep take me. I know I can’t fix things that fast but, maybe it wouldn’t hurt if I tell him about it.

“I’ll look forward to that,” he said as he pulled over, I didn’t realize we were already at our front yard and I need to get out of his car if I don’t want to explain anything else to him.

“Thanks,” I said as I pulled open the car door and walked to our porch. He nodded his head in response and drove off fast. Once I opened the door I realized I still had his jacket on, I forgot to give it to him.

***

“Please Kirsten don’t,” I said as my lower lip started to quiver. She and her ever-loyal cheering squad decided to pick on me again, this time in the girl’s restroom so technically no one could hear us, meaning my death screams would be nothing more than a muffled sound.

“Oh really, Sky? Tell me why shouldn’t I? After all, I’m far prettier and sexier than you… Don’t you think Trent would want me a lot more than he wants you?” she said whilst purposely flipping her ponytailed dark hair. Her “girls” started to laugh and snicker now, probably talking about how I’m far from being Kirsten. Oh puh-lease, we are so different and being compared to that slut of a cheerleader would be a big insult.