Chapter Twenty

One Month Later
_________________

I buckle the front of my bullet-proof vest, and pick a very hungry Dahlia up out of her crib.

"Peeta, Sweetie?"

"Yes, Hun?" He says, peeking his head through the bathroom door.

"Could you feed Dahlia with one of the bottles I pumped? I'm already in gear.

"Yes, just one second."

I put Dahlia back down into her crib, and she immediately starts to cry.

I pick her right back up, and snuggle her in my arms.

I bounce up and down and shoosh her softly. She always calms down when I do this.

Peeta comes out of the bathroom and I watch as a tear slides down his face. "Look at my girls."

I smile at him, and hand Dahlia to him.

"We have to go in a half hour, so I guess we can take Dahlia to my mothers and then head down to the hover craft."

"Sounds good," Peeta says as he finishes feeding Dahlia.

Peeta and I leave to take Dahlia to my mother and Prim's room. As soon as we get there, Peeta and I both start to cry.

We plant a huge kiss on Dahlia's soft cheeks, and hand her over to Prim.

"You and Mum better take good care of her," I say jokingly to Prim.

"We will," she replies. "The bottles and diapers are all in your room, correct?"

"Yep." I say. "Now give me a hug."

Prim embraces me in a huge hug. "Promise me you'll kill him, and when I see you next, we'll be free."

"I promise." I whisper into Prim's ear.

Peeta and I go straight to the loading room, where we both board the hover craft. Along with Gale, Finnick, Johanna, Boggs, Cressida, and many more soldiers.

I snuggle into Peeta's chest and entwine our fingers.

"I already miss our baby girl," Peeta whispers.

"I do too," I start. "But as soon as we kill him, we'll be free. She'll have a better life.

"I know." Peeta says.

***

We arrive in the capital later in the day. We gear up and try our best to disguise ourselves.

As we start our trek to the presidents mansion, many things go wrong.

A thick, black substance comes washing through our camp. As we are running, Peeta has another flashback, and attacks me.

Boggs attempts to get Peeta away from me, but it's too late.

Boggs dies.

Later, we encounter lizard like mutts. As we all climb a ladder to safety, Finnick gets stuck at the bottom.

Finnick dies.

***

Three Days Later
________________

Peeta, Cressida, Gale, Johanna, and I sit in the basement of Tigris, a woman from the capital helping us with our mission.

We all gear up in our disguises and were sent on our way.

As Peeta and I sit in an alley-like place, I watch as parachutes fall to the ground, being caught by children, because they know that only good comes from them.

But this time, that's a lie.

The parachutes blow up, killing many and leaving the rest injured.

I watch as a hover craft circles the area and three people come out, to nurse the wounded back to health.

I then realize who it is. It's Prim. I see her tail of her shirt sticking out. It's my little duck. Along with a small child strapped to her chest.

"Oh my god." I whisper. "It's Dahlia."

"Prim? Primrose!"

And that's when the rest of the parachutes go off.