Crazy Enough: Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A nudge jerked her awake.

"We're getting us off here," Alex said as she blinked the sleep out of her eyes and sat up straight. Corkie looked outside the window. They had stopped on the outskirts of Chihuahua. Alex added, "We don't want to be seen with the others."

"Good idea," Corkie said and stretched out her kinks.

Fr. Ramiro walked down the bus's aisle to where she and Alex sat in the back. He handed her a small bag, explaining that there was water and food in it for both of them. And some money from Juan. Corkie promptly removed the money. "I have plenty, Fr. Ramiro. Use this to get what you need at the marketplace."

"Si...gracias." Fr. Ramiro stuffed the cash into his pocket. Corkie knew how little money the village had, and she didn't need to take from them. Even if it had come from Juan's personal funds. She thanked everyone and hugged and kissed those she had become friends with in the last few years. Then she and Alex got off the bus, and she waved as it drove on. Alex stood there, frowning.

"What now, nińa?" he asked.

"You can't call me that," she said.

"Nińa? Why not? That's what everyone calls you."

"But you can't," she insisted. "It's an endearment. You don't do endearments, unless you're being sarcastic and catty."

He gazed down at her. "Catty? I'm never catty."

"Call it whatever you wish, but don't call me nińa."

He turned away from her, studying the town before them. "I'll need to find a phone."

"Why?"

He slung the bag from Fr. Ramiro over his shoulder and started walking. "I need transportation."

She skipped to keep up with him. "Why?"

"To get back to base and report," he explained.

"Like hell you will," she said fiercely. "You're not going anywhere without me. I want my pictures."

"I know," he smirked. "That's why you're coming with me."

Corkie stopped walking. Dang it. She plodded right into that one. "Not happening," she said.

"We'll see," he said casually.

She scowled at his back. If he dragged her to his commander, she'd never get her pictures away from...and they would find out who her father was, and Daddy would hear of what she'd been up to this past week. He'd send someone to escort her home, because he warned her not to go into Mexico. There had been too many disappearances of American citizens lately, and blonde, single women were at the top of the kidnapping list.

She'd just have to talk Alex out of his plans...and she knew only one way of doing that. This wasn't going to be a joyful conversation. "Juan told me I had three days to get back to the United States," she said to the back of his head. "If I don't, then he'll call my father."

"So?"

She sighed. "My father is Colonel Steven James Davenport, III...of the United States Special Operations Command." She paused to let that sink in. Then she added, "Your boss."

Alex froze. She stared at him staring straight ahead, not saying anything or moving in any way. After a minute passed, he quietly asked, "You are Colonel Davenport's daughter?"

"Yes. My mother's maiden name was Brooks. I legally changed mine a few years ago for professional reasons. Davenport is too well known in some circles."