Chapter Thirteen

"Svegliati!"

Stella yawned and rubbed her eyelids. She gradually opened her eyes and noticed Celestine standing in the doorway, her hands resting on her hips. Stella then glanced at the window. The sun was already shining brightly, its golden rays forcing her to squint. Did I wake up late? Stella sat upright on her bed and searched for her slippers. One was located near the foot of the bed, whereas the other one had landed next to the wardrobe.

"It's almost eight o'clock. A little late for you," Celestine said in Italian. Stella stood up and put on her footwear.

"Sorry for waking up late," Stella apologized.

"It's okay, just get ready in thirty minutes. Helene and the boys will be here by then."

Stella got ready in half the time. By 8:15 a.m. she had taken a quick shower, dressed in casual clothing, and eaten her breakfast. She helped her aunt with washing the dishes before resting on the living room sofa. She opened her phone and checked the time; it was 8:20 a.m.

Knock, knock. "Who could that be?" Celestine wondered aloud. She walked across the room to answer the door and peeked through the peephole. She then opened the door. Edmond was standing in the doorway.

"Buongiorno."

"Buongiorno. Please, come in," Celestine greeted him. He stepped into her home and glanced at the shoe rack.

"Do I take off my shoes?"

"No, no, you can keep them on," Celestine answered him. "You can just wait in the living room in the meantime."

He nodded his head and looked at Stella. "Good morning," he greeted her.

"Good morning, where are the others?"

"Uh, I don't know."

"You came here alone?" Celestine asked.

"I was supposed to go with José and Jon, but José texted me your address and said that I can go ahead. They should be here in a while," he said, taking a seat next to Stella.

"You came here pretty early," Celestine remarked. "Anyway, I'll ask José and Helene where they are."

Celestine left the living room. She sat at the dining table, opened her cellphone, and began making calls. Meanwhile, Stella turned her head to her right. Edmond was staring back at her. He half-smiled, his lips moving slightly as though he was about to say something, but it took a while before a sound escaped through them.

"By the way, do you mind if we exchange phone numbers?" Edmond asked.

"Oh, sure." Stella retrieved her phone from her pocket. The two of them took turns in reciting their numbers to add to their contacts. After inputting his number, she asked him, "What's your last name?"

"Uh, it's Delacroix," he replied slowly, "spelled D-E-L-A-C-R-O-I-X."

Stella keyed it in. She then showed him her screen. "Like this?"

"Yes," he replied. "And yours?"

"Vincente. V-I-N-C-E-N-T-E."

He promptly entered her surname. After that, he locked his phone and placed it back into his pocket. Edmond and Stella looked at each other. Silence swept between them as they waited for the other person to start the conversation. She fidgeted with her fingers, thinking of whether she should break the silence or wait for him to speak.

He briefly glimpsed the area around him. "So, euh, your aunt's house looks pretty cozy."

"Ehm, thanks," she said, grateful that he spoke first. "I've been staying here for the past week. What about you?"