Chapter 3: Surfacing (Part 3 of 7)

Fear entered Amy's room like a restless ghost. It slinked through the crack of the opening door, wafting its pungent odor into her sanctuary. Her mind devoured and processed the scent before the portal's movement was even noticeable to the eye. It didn't have the meatiness that fear often carried with it. This smell was like vinegar burning her sinuses.

It was a sickly, timid stench of nervous dread. It wasn't from a creature being pursued but by one terrified of being noticed.

Amy's felt shame for R.J. It was degrading that he should smell so much like a rabbit. But this thought was swiftly replaced by alarm.

She had never detected this level of anxiety on him before. The Music Box was R.J.'s territory. He was in charge here. He walked these halls day after day with confidence. His normal scent was one of comfort and control, never fear.

Pneumatic hinges rolled the door forward with agonizing slowness. Amy waited until a gap began to form. "What's wrong?" she called into the portal. "Are we being attacked?"

"It's okay, Amy. It's okay." The words didn't match the hidden tremor in his voice or the rapid pounding of his heart. "No one's coming it's just me."

She could see him through the slight crack. He was impatient and he had his hand against the door as if it could somehow move it along faster.

"What's wrong?"

"You're in danger, but don't worry. I'm here to help." He went on talking to her in a soothing voice that was so forced it only made Amy more nervous. R.J. kept telling her it would be okay and each time he did, she was less certain of it.

The moment the gap was wide enough for Amy to conceivably pass through, R.J. reached out to her, inviting her to take his hand. "Alright Amy, we need to move quickly. Come in here."

Amy was so anxious she almost didn't give it any thought. She almost gave him her hand so he could yank her in. But at the last second, she snatched it back.

"No, I can't."

"Listen, Amy. I don't have a lot of time to explain but we have to leave here. Now."

"I can't."

"Yes, you can. I know we always said you weren't allowed to leave. And after all the time you spent here, I'm sure the thought of going somewhere else must be scary, but-"

"I'm not scared of leaving. It's the failsafe." She pointed to the portal and took two steps back.

"Shit."

The tone said it all: he knew about it but he hadn't expected her to. Was he trying to trick her? Why would he do that?

Of everyone in The Music Box, R.J. was the person she was closest to. He was family. But he was also her keeper. Amy's distress amplified that whisper of doubt inside of her-the little twinge of uncertainty that cropped up in tender moments-the soft, seductive voice that told her it was all an act. There was always that nagging feeling that one day she would discover it had all been a lie and she never meant anything to any of them, and she was and always had been on her own.

Was this that day?

"Look, you have to trust me. I have a way to get you out."

"Barbara said there was no way to stop it."

"I've found a way."

The door was almost open wide enough for R.J. to pass through. What should she do if he tried and forced her into the death trap? Would it come to that? Would he make her change to protect herself?

But when he could have gone to her, R.J. stayed inside the portal. He took a plastic disk from a metal case in his pocket and held it out for her to see. It contained a small fleck, which she had to squint to make out. It was some kind of electronic gizmo.

"This is an identification chip. The failsafe compares the number of heart rates to the number of these chips in the portal. The computer is looking for someone without a chip. This will fool it into thinking you have one. Come with me."

"Why?"

"If you stay here, you'll die."

She'd die? What kind of explanation was that? How? Why? But she sensed the truth in him. Whatever the reasons, he believed it. And his fear suddenly fell into place: he was breaking the rules. He was afraid someone would stop him from getting her out.

Amy hesitated. Even if there was a need to leave it still didn't feel right. "What about my things?"

"You can't take them. There's no time."

Amy's eyes shifted around the room. Her books, her drawings, her clothes. How could she leave all of it?

"I'm not even dressed," she said, remembering the pajama pants and T-shirt she wore.

"I have clothes for you to change into." He indicated a small duffle slung over his shoulder. "Time is running out. Please Amy, trust me."

How could she just abandon everything like that? This was her room. Her home.

All those years and memories were tied up in this place, she couldn't just walk away.

No, she thought. This is not my home. This is my prison. And the truth was that she was afraid of what was beyond that door. It had been so long since there had been anymore to the world than this one room.

Amy bit her lip and put out her arm so it was within R.J.'s grasp. He took hold and pulled her into the portal.

It was strange being on this side of the door. She felt like she had entered a space capsule that would fire her off into the furthest reaches of space.

R.J. slammed his palm against a button and the door reversed its motion and moved to seal them in.

"What happens if it doesn't work?" she asked. "What if the trap still goes off?"

"It won't."

She smelled the fear change in him. The aroma grew taut and focused. Death was near.

"But..."

"It won't," he repeated. Amy wasn't sure which of them he was trying to convince.