Chapter 5 - Ambush

The following day at school, Nick couldn't concentrate at all during the lesson. He was still in too much pain from fighting Raven yesterday. He just wanted to go sleep again, or better yet, stay at home and rest. Luckily, it was his last class for the day. Maybe if he just rested for a second...

"Nick, please wake up and pay attention to the lesson. This material is gonna be on your test this Friday." Ms. Ericsson said, looking at the young man.

"Sorry, Ms. Ericsson," Nick replied, copying down the equation that was in the textbook: "x + 4 • 9 = 42. Solve for Raven-" Nick quickly erased Raven's name and wrote "Solve for x" instead. Focus, Nick. Try and focus, he thought as he started solving the equation. He suddenly tore off a piece of the paper and quickly scribbled something down before handing it to Raven.

The girl quickly turned her attention towards the whiteboard but not before looking at the piece of paper in front of her. She sighed softly and opened the parchment before chuckling softly at the words written on it: "Please give us back our files. I'll get you the treatment you need for your wounds." She picked up her pencil and scribbled a quick reply before handing him back the note.

Nick looked down the paper and read the reply: "No. Besides, you guys already have Project: Dino, or whatever the fuck your newest weapon is called."

He scribbled a quick reply and passed the note back: "It's called The Phoenix Protocol. And why do you even need our files anyway?"

"We want to be the best agency in town," Raven scribbled before sliding the piece of paper back to Nick.

He reached for the paper and accidentally brushed her hand as he pulled away quickly and blushed. He then cleared his throat and looked at the girl, flashing a soft smile in her direction.

The bell rang, signaling the end of the class, and the school day. The students quickly packed their supplies and walked out of the room, ready for the weekend.

Raven looked at Nick and said, "I have to ask you something. Walk with me outside?" while heading towards the door.

"Looks like you're in a hurry to leave," Nick replied, following the 16 year old down the hallway. "So, what did you wanna ask me?"

"Nick... do you still have feelings for me? Even after what transpired over the apparent past two months we've fought?" She walked in-step with Nick all the way down to their street, which was a block away from the school.

He started to blush again and said, "I mean, considering we went on that date a couple months ago, yeah. Why are you asking me this?" It slowly started to come clear to him. "This is about yesterday... isn't it?"

The girl sighed. "Yes. It's about the incident yesterday. After I cracked the visor off of your helmet, why didn't you answer me when I was talking to you? I quite literally had to slap some sense into—"

"Raven, I know what happened. I was there, obviously. But... I was under an NDA. I wasn't allowed to discuss the secret agent stuff with anyone," Nick replied. "And— hang on. Raven... you still like me, don't you? Even after all this fighting going on between us?"

Now Raven was turning red. "Yes, Nick. I admit it. I still like y—"

Just then, a black van bearing the ISA insignia skidded in front of the two high-schoolers. ISA agents ambushed Nick and began to attack him without warning, forcing him to submit and fall to the floor. One of the agents quickly raided Nick's bag, grabbed Raven and ushered her into the van.