Chapter 26 - Who Will Live? (Part 2)

Dear Internet Diary,

I limp as I walk over to Jace's side. Jace extends his arm out to me, but is stopped when Jenny puts the revolver to his head. "I wouldn't do that if I were you." she says cockily, and moves her head as a cue for Jace to get back into line. He scowls at her, and her grin grows wider. I make my way to stand by Jace's side, but end up falling on the ground as my right leg starts to give in. "Might as well stay down. Baine will be here soon." she tells me, while pointing the gun at my head. I get up on my knees and use my arms as support. "Right there's good enough." Jenny tells me with a smirk.

I look over at Jace and he barely shakes his head at me, as if he read my mind. "Why are you even here? Why are you even apart of this?" I ask Jenny, as I look up at her. "You really don't know who I am? Seriously?" I shake my head at her words. "No. I don't. I thought I did, but I don't anymore." Jenny throws her head back in laughter. "YOU don't know how I am? HA! That's cute." she says sarcastically, but then quickly changes her tone to defensive. "Who the hell did you think the cheer squad girl you saw kissing Preston was? Some nobody?"

I think back to the day I saw some blonde bimbo kissing Preston, but fail to recall her face. "I don't know. I never saw her face." I say softly. "It was me you insensitive bitch!" she yells at me dropping the gun to her side. "How I fooled you BOTH is beyond me..." She keeps talking and I take the opportunity and reach for the gun. She tries to take it away from my grasp, but fails, and starts shooting it. I'm too lost in my adrenaline to notice, and end up tackling her down with me. I manage to get her finger out of the trigger guard and we fight over it.

All I remember after that is that by the end of it, the last shot went off, and only one of us remained. I feel her hands loosen around my hands and I slowly drags my eyes up her body to meet her face. A small pool of blood now starts to spread across her abdomen and I look up at her now lifeless eyes. "NO!!! What have you done?!" I hear a male scream and I get off her. I feel my body start to tremble as I keep my eyes trained on Jenny, until I hear more screaming coming from Preston. "Jenny!" I turn my body and see Preston running towards us. "I'll kill you all." Preston shout as he pulls out his own gun and aims it at me. "Great. Does everyone have guns now?" I mentally scold myself.

I feel a body collide with mine and push me behind the car. I look up and see Jace's face. "Don't worry. I called the police on my way here. They should be here soon." he tells me. My muscle relax a bit, but are quickly constricted by Preston's threats as he shoots at us. "Why is he acting like this?" I ask myself aloud unknowingly. I hear Jace chuckle and I look at him. "He's in love with her. I'd do the same if that was you." he tells me, and I forget how to breathe as I stare in to his eyes. "Awe. isn't that just touching?" Preston says as he stands next to us with his pistol aimed at our heads. I notice tears coming down his face and want to instantly apologize for killing someone. Although it was in self-defense, she shouldn't have died.

Preston pulls out his phone, clears his throat, and calls someone. "Baine... Yeah, she escaped and killed your niece... I'll be waiting." he says before putting his phone away. "Looks like your time has come." Preston says to me and Jace tackles him. I watch them rough house over the pistol as shots keep being fired at Jace. "Savannah isn't the only one that's been his Miranda before." Preston says to distract Jace. "The guy's always been unhinged since he lost his daughter to a street racer."

"His wife left him after their girl died and Jenny had to suffer because of it." Preston shouts at Jace. "Jenny was the first one, and I must avenge her death." I stand there shocked at the words coming out Preston's mouth. I see a bullet wound go through Jace's left shoulder, hear him wail in pain, and yet, he still somehow manages to steal the pistol from Preston. "No one messes with my girl. I meant what I said to you after the party. No one." Jace asserts as he tosses the gun far away from them. "You still don't get it. He won't just kill her; he'll kill us all." Preston shouts. I watch Jace beat him through the pain he feels from his wound, and decide to pull him back when I hear gravel being crunched in the distance.

I look over my shoulder and see Mr. Blue's black truck headed towards the house rapidly. I tug on Jace's shirt and he finally gets up. "Let's go!" I say as I try to run with my limp. "Keep running you little bitch. I'm coming for you." Mr. Blue screams as we run away. He shoots his gun at us a couple times before one grazes my left calf. "Ahh!" I cry out and fall. Jace hastily helps me up and we continue running. I can feel my body losing its balance. I can feel my blood sliding down my legs from my injuries, but I keep running. I have to.

Another shot burst through me, except this one strikes the lower side of my back, and I can't keep going. Jace turns around again, and I look behind me. "Jace run. Please! For me." I say but he stays put. "NO! I won't leave you." Jace shouts as he extends his arm to help me up. A bullet grazes through his left arm and he pulls back in pain. I look back and see how close Mr. Blue is getting. "Jace. Please." I say as I look him in the eye. "Go. Save yourself." I see him clench his jaw once more as a tear rolls down his eye, before he nods and runs away. I hold back my own tears, but fail. I see him enter the dark woods and enter into the realm of safety as the singing sirens get closer.

"I love..." I start to say, but never finish my sentence as the world around me goes black.

Sincerely,

Melody N. Ravenna

Hope you liked my first novel ever. Thank you for reading! Please leave a like and comment.

-JkGsonny