Chapter 24 - Cello

24 - Cello

I've learnt something in the past couple of days: I can't make assumptions based on things that only one person tells me. I have to investigate the matter for myself and draw my own conclusions. My mother always said that a true liar lies with his soul and spins tales so zealously that they almost become the truth. She was referring to my dad, but it works with all the people I've encountered at the Zephyr.

I leave Syianne standing in the conference room and I know she must be angry with me, and I'm sorry for it. She looks so pale and worried that I almost call after Leolan and tell him that I'm in. But that's the second thing my mother taught me, never agree to something before you know what the stakes are and what you're in for. Perhaps my mom is just a simple woman who works at a hair salon and comes from Tagrya, but one must never underestimate the wisdom of hairdressers (or mothers).

I stride through the winding corridors until I find room 551. The skinny secretary isn't at her desk; she's standing by the door to Xeprim's office looking inside with her arms crossed over her stomach. I look past her shoulder at the wreckage and wince, as if all that was my fault. There are two men inside filling buckets with rubble.

I begin to back away, I don't want to be held responsible for that mess, but just then the secretary notices me. She raises one thinly tweezed eyebrow at me.

"Hi," I salute by holding up one hand and not quite waving it.

She raises the other eyebrow and frowns, perhaps only recognising me now.

"Is Xeprim around?" I try.

"Who?" I knew it! He was pulling my leg with that bogus name of his.

"Old Flent."

She shrugs. What does she mean by that? "You haven't seen him?" I ask.

"Not since before that," clearly blaming me.

"I last saw him somewhere over the Sky Needle," I muse. The Sky Needle is said to be the tallest building in the world. I don't think it's so remarkable; they built a very tall office building and then added a thin metal construction on top.

"Over the...?" she looks perplexed; she tilts her head while staring at me.

"Anyway, I'll go try to find him, thanks for your help."

*

I walk back out into the corridor and randomly choose to head left. I don't know where I'm going or how I'll find Xeprim. My mind begins to open to the possibility that I won't find him, and then there's really no one to give me advice.

I should get used to it. I've never actually had to make any meaningful decisions before, so I never needed advice. Now that I need it, there's no one to give it to me. I'm on my own.

The thought doesn't scare me like it should – it emboldens me -- so I turn around and walk to Leolan's office. The door is open and I see him sitting behind his desk, as if he was waiting for me. "That was fast," he says.

"I'm not finished thinking yet," I let myself in and sit across from him. "I have a few questions."

Leolan leans back into his chair. He's cool and smooth, but there's something about him that just doesn't click for me. I try not to be overly judgmental and keep an open mind, but it's there in the pit of my stomach. I don't like this guy. "Ask away, Cello."

"I want to know who slugged me and I want to know why."

"What will you do when you find out?"

"That depends," I lean back into my chair, imitating his comfortably confident pose, "what reason they give me."