Chapter Two - Mr. Brightside

I ran to Gina's house. It was finally the day I was dreading for. When she would be leaving me.

When I got there, she was nicely bound in Alex's arms; her parents were still loading their car. When she finally saw me, she broke free from his grip and ran over to me, engulfing me in a hug.

"I thought you weren't going to make it, Mikayla!"

I laughed and hugged her back. "Of couse I was going to make it. What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't."

"A horrible one." She responded, letting me go. "Alex told me about the summer job. I guess you do listen to me after all."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't push it, Gina. I can just go right back and call it off."

"You wouldn't dare."

I glared at her. "Oh, yes I would!"

No, I wouldn't.

"Gina! Time to go." Called her father from the sidewalk. He waved when he saw me and I waved back.

"Bye buddy." I said before giving her another hug.

She flicked my nose and smiled. "I'll be back before you know it." She then ran over to Alex and gave him a kiss before jolting into the car.

Alex and I both stood together, yet far apart, watching Gina drive off. When the car was completely out of sight he turned toward me. "Hi to you, too."

I blinked, bringing myself back to reality and laughed. "Sorry, Alex." I composed myself a little. "Hi."

He laughed, shaking his head. "So, where you heading to now, friendless loser?"

"I'm going home and sleeping, girlfriend less loser."

He smirked. "Come eat breakfast with me. There's this cool diner outside of town, but I don't like to go there alone because one of the waitresses likes to hit on me."

I laughed. "Oh, poor you."

He started treading toward his truck. "Well, are you coming or not?"

I shook my head, but followed after him.

I didn't know whether this was a joke or not. The diner was located in the middle of nowhere and it didn't seem like most people came here, but truckers. "This is it?" I asked while we pulled up.

He looked at me in silence for a moment and when smiled. "Didn't anyone ever tell you not to judge a book my its cover?"

"Have you ever heard that first impressions are everything?" I looked back at the diner. "I don't even know why I came, anyway. I don't have much money."

"Who said you were paying?" He hopped out the truck and opened my side of the door.

I eyed him carefully, but got out of truck.

We entered the diner and I soon realized that this was the land of giant mustaches and plaid jackets. They all looked at me with confusion, but then looked at Alex and smiled.

Alex led me to one of the booths in the back and handed me a menu encased in a plastic frame. "I'm not feeling oh-so comfortable here."

Alex raised an eyebrow at me. "Why?"

He looked around and one of the trucker guys gave him the thumbs up. "Nice catch there, Alexander."

"It's not like that Louie!" He called back to the man and laughed.

I shook my head. "Don't they know that you're with Gina?"

He shook his head, almost trying to avoid the question. "I never brought Gina here."