Prologue: Earth's Demise

PROLOGUE: EARTH'S DEMISE

It is the 100th anniversary of the infamous day that the emigrants left Earth. As Earth became over-populated, half of the population (about four billion people) were forced to fly to a different galaxy. Scientists had been watching this galaxy for years, and discovered a planet that was rather Earth-like. After years of exploration, scientists deemed this planet inhabitable for human-kind, and decided it was necessary, thanks to the ever-growing population, that we move humans there immediately. This created quite the debate between political officials as well as scientists. NASA finally had the technology to make the voyage, but the question was, how well would this planet be able to support a new population?

They decided to send a group of astronauts there first to test out the circumstances. A test group of 50 men and women made the trek into space for a month to go to this new world. Arriving there, they had to learn the ways of this planet. Although it was Earth-like, it was actually very different from Earth. It was far away from its sun, which was necessary considering the sun was a blue giant. It had two moons which orbited it in opposite directions, keeping it balanced. It was made of 67% water, close to Earth's amount. Its land was abundant, covered in trees with auburn colored leaves, fruits they had never seen, and beautiful flowers of the brightest colors imaginable. It seemed like paradise.

The astronauts quickly figured the ways of the planet; how to pick fruits, hunt their strange beasts, and make shelter. After six months spent on this peaceful oasis, they didn't want to leave. However, they had to get back to Earth to tell what they'd seen. As they landed back on Earth, they told of their wonderful journey through this peaceful land. They told of the flowers, the animals, the climate even was perfect.

After hearing of this seemingly perfect planet, Earth's officials couldn't wait to send people there. The big problem was, however, who were they going to send? The United Nations got together to survey all of Earth's population to see who would be important to send to the new world. They did their best to send people of every profession. After they had their select few that would be beneficial to this new and strange planet, there were still three billion spots left. They took volunteers and ended up with one billion left. They were left with a dilemma. Earth needed a fresh new start with half the population gone, but they couldn't find the last billion people to leave. Then they came upon an epiphany.

Instead of thinking what the new world needed, which they had already done, what did Earth still need? All the important people were left to Earth, and families of 'unimportant' people were taken to the new planet. They took five huge spaceships and a little over a month to get there. Once they were on the planet, they set up a colony, and two of the spaceships, along with their pilots, were sent back to Earth to assure their safe arrival. For a long time while the settlers were still working on making the planet livable, they called it 'New Earth' or 'Earth Number Two'. The people on Earth still called it 'The New World'.

Earth watched over this planet for many years as they were colonizing and setting up a democracy. Surprisingly, instead of splitting up into countries, they ruled the planet as a whole. As NASA watched, they reported it to the President of the United States, and she started to wonder if they should do the same on Earth. However, on the new planet, they did this peacefully, with no resistance. They elected officials to rule over the planet. They would discuss with one another ways to improve the planet with no violence involved. The only weapons made on this planet were to hunt, and if anyone was to use a weapon otherwise, they were killed. On this new planet, they were very strict on crime. If they found you guilty in trial, they would execute you. This put an end to most crime.

On Earth, however, crime was at an all time high. The President wanted to take after the new planet in breaking up countries. However, she was not willing to work with other rulers peacefully. She wanted to rule the Earth by herself. America fought to take over the Earth and, with most countries, won. However, China, Russia, and England were still fighting back. They had formed an allience against America to take back Earth, but were slowly losing. Even now, one hundred years later, the war still goes on. Technology has taken over most of the world's free time, limiting production. Earth is slowly falling.

Meanwhile, the new planet, now called Psidon after the Greek God Poseidon, is thriving. As their name entails, they believe in polythiesm, using the ancient Greek Gods. They use a panel of 20 leaders to rule their planet. They are very peaceful, and have never experienced a war, besides the one time one of the villages claimed they were going to go back to Earth and then changed their mind. Crime is at a minimum. Technology exists only for scientific and necessary living purposes. Everyone is given a house by the government, including air-conditioning and heating, and a fridge and stove. The government-given houses are very basic, however, so if you have enough to trade, you can move up and buy your own.

Psidon is peaceful and happy, yet, on the anniversary of their leaving, they are wondering what has happened to Earth. All they know is what they were told by their ancestors who had come from Earth. They'd never even seen it with their own eyes. Meanwhile, Earth still continues to watch them secretly.

The government of Psidon decided to send one of their spaceships which hadn't been used since their arrival on this planet, to travel to Earth. However, once they see it is too dangerous to stay, they decide to only take one person to tell how Earth is doing, which obviously isn't very well. That person's name is Ethan, and this is his story.