Chapter One: Ethan's Abduction

CHAPTER ONE: ETHAN'S ABDUCTION

 It was one hundred years ago today that the emigrants left Earth to go to the planet Psidon. The President never fails to remind us. I don't know why he insists on dedicating a whole day to it. Maybe he is full of sorrow that they were forced to leave. Or maybe he's sad that he didn't get to. We have heard nothing of Psidon since they arrived, other than the name change. It makes me wonder how we do know that, and if maybe they know more. Either way, they sure aren't telling us anything.

Earth is in the middle of another world war, except this time, America doesn't seem like the good guys. Maybe we never were. Our President has taken over the world, and while one or two countries fight back, they are losing fast. I don't think this is what our ancestors had in mind while founding America. Although, they probably never thought half the population would be forced to leave Earth, either.

The only thing you can watch on TV today is the broadcast of the President's speech, or some other remembrance of the emigrants. I often wonder what happened to that colony, but the President says we lost all contact with them soon after they departed. They could all be dead by now. I, however, am one of the few who doesn't believe everything the President tells me. Right now, I am watching him on TV going on and on about how his heart goes out to the 'lost colony' and that he hopes they made a home on Psidon. I know it's not true though. The President is emotionless. He probably wishes they were on Earth so he could rule over them too.

I become bored with hearing the same speech we heard every year, except this time it was even more glorified for the 100th anniversary. Work was off today, as this was supposedly a world-wide holiday. I guess you could say my life is pretty mundane. I'm 24 years old and I work as a teller at a bank. Not exactly the most exciting job. I live in a studio apartment all by myself and pretty much have no social life. Although, no one really does anymore. I mean, they do on-line, but they never talk to each other in person anymore. The most human contact I get is when I talk to someone at the bank, and usually they're not too thrilled about it. Most people like to do all their shopping on-line now, but banks are still an in-person thing because of stolen identity. Banking is not allowed to be done online, and I hear complaints about it everyday. I've mostly learned to tune them out.

I turn the TV off to look at my phone buzzing with alerts about the anniversary of the emigrants. It's always the same thing every year. Nothing new or exciting ever happens to me.

Suddenly a huge crash causes my house to shake. We don't usually get earthquakes in this area, but that seems to be the only logical explanation. I look outside to investigate when I see a miniature (still huge) spacecraft outside my apartment building. People stare in amazement, finally looking up from their technology to what's happening in the real world. Although, right now I'd much rather be watching the President's boring speech than outside next to a UFO. Two guardsmen come out of the spaceship and one speaks.

"We need Ethan Carlisle."

Unfortunately, that's me.