(15) Frozen Heart

"I think I know enough of hate,

To know that for destruction, ice is always great."

-Robert Frost

Marina was so warm

Marina was so warm. She rolled onto her side and snuggled further under the wool blanket. She was never going to get up. She'd stay right there, cozy and asleep for the rest of eternity.

Soon, the warmth began to suffocate her. She was suddenly panting as beads of sweat trickled down her back. If she stayed another second under the blanket, she would die from heatstroke. She kicked it off of her, the motion causing her to lose her balance and off the couch she rolled.

A laugh echoed in the room. Marina looked around, trying to find the culprit, her eyes landing on Colson.

He sat in the chair across from the couch. His hand slapped his knee as he continued to laugh, his face tilted up towards the ceiling.

"Was that you?" she asked, biting out each word. She narrowed her eyes at him from the floor. "Were you making me hot?"

Colson tried to compose himself, wiping his fingers under his eyes. "I'm sorry," he said, still trying to catch his breath. A smile still spread on his lips. "I had to. You should have seen your face!"

Anger blew through her like a blast from the arctic north. It chilled her veins, freezing her to her spot. Marina grasped onto her power and used it.

She stared at Colson's hands which were gripping the arms of his chair. She furrowed her brow in concentration, trying not to turn the whole room into a snow-globe.

Colson's eyes widened as his lips snapped shut, feeling the sudden cold beneath his hands. His arms tensed as he tried to lift his palms from the material, wincing when they wouldn't budge. She knew how bad it would hurt if he were to rip his hands away from the ice. She learned that the hard way.

"What did you do?" he asked Marina frantically, his voice rising an octave.

"I'm sorry," she replied, turning her lips into a pout. "I had to. You should see your face!"