Chapter Sixteen

At first, Jonathan was planning on killing the one person he called 'friend'. Edward had promised to keep Shannon safe.. He should have kept Shannon safe… But after one incredibly long walk, avoiding bumping into police on the streets as they searched for him after his escape in broad daylight, Jonathan decided that it truly wasn't Edward's fault. After all, hadn't Edward been to see Jonathan? That was why he hadn't been seeing to Shannon- because he was telling Jonathan he feared for her sanity and was seeking answers..

Jonathan's grudge, therefore, was drawn to four people instead of five. Joker and Harley were two- but since they were currently in Arkham, they were at the end of his list. He would get to them, but later.  Another he would have to wait for was the Batman. If the man had lived, Jonathan would find him and kill him slowly for taking him away from Shannon. Sadly enough, that right may have been taken from him and knocked his count to three.

The last of Jonathan's list was the man that started it all, Victor Zsasz. Another one to  wait for, but Jonathan didn't care. He would kill Zsasz if it killed him. Heck, he would break into Blackgate if he had to! He would see the man die from an over dosage of fear toxin so he would see exactly what Shannon had gone through because of him.

It was night by time Jonathan slipped inside of Edward's opened garage. There was no car inside, but Jonathan was sure his friend would be home soon and he didn't want a run in with Batman or a police officer. The picture was still clutched in Jonathan's hand as he let himself in to Edwards home, making his way through the home that looked like it had been torn apart in a search of sorts. That must've been when Edward noticed Shannon was gone.. Glancing into one room, Jonathan saw an unmade bed and a wheelchair beside it. He looked away as he realized that was where Shannon had probably spent her nights, and made his way back to the main area of the house as he heard a door open.

"Jonathan?!" Edward called, surprised as he walked in the house to find his friend, "Jonathan, what are you doing here?... I heard you escaped, but… I thought you would've gone home if you had heard.."

"I can't go there," Jonathan mumbled. It wasn't just because that would be the first place the police would check, but also because he couldn't deal with so much of Shannon's energy surrounding him when she was gone…

"Well, I guess you can stay here," Edward said softly, trying to be gentle as he saw Jonathan was obviously upset. He watched his friend nod silently, and his eyes found the picture he was holding. It was the one of the wedding.. "I'm sorry, Jonathan.." Edward apologized suddenly, "For all that happened. If I had known Harley-"

"Don't…" Jonathan ground out, his grip tightening on the frame as he closed his eyes. He didn't want to talk about his victims just yet. For now, he just needed a place to stay so he could mourn before going for the kill. "I just… I don't want to talk about her. Not now."

"Of course," Edward nodded, before heading into the kitchen, "Can I get you anything, Jonathan?"

"No… I'll be in her room," Jonathan whispered, walking into the room with the unmade bed with the wheelchair. He silently closed the door behind him so the room was only lit by the faint light of the moon and the small amount coming from under the door. That was when the tears he had been restraining came rolling down his cheeks, but he didn't make a sound as he walked to the bed and curled up in it. Beside him, he placed the picture, his lip quivering as he gazed upon her image… He ran his fingers gently over the picture, wishing for that day to return. She had been so lovely… so happy…

He heard a knock on the door, and Edward asked something. Jonathan didn't respond though as he closed his eyes tight, his body shaking as a noiseless sob racked through him.

"I'm sorry… I'm so sorry, Shannon, my love," he whimpered softly, his fingers attempting to dig into the glass, "This wasn't supposed to happen… There was so much left for you.. I'm sorry…"

~-~-~-~

Edward only made one attempt to draw Jonathan from the room the next morning. A gentle knock on the door, and when it wasn't answered, Edward backed away. He had heard the muffled cries of his friend through the night, and knew that this was not something he would just cast aside as he had the death of his brother. Through all the years Edward known him, he had never seen Jonathan cry, he had only seen the man grow extremely angry which often resulted horribly. That was why Edward was terrified of what might happen now.

Now the news channel was on, and Edward watched hopefully as the program went on. The old reporter was talking about the escape of Jonathan Crane at the moment, saying it was a complete mystery as he was reported to have been escorted to his cell after smashing a television and picking a fight with the Joker.

The program then cut to a press conference, looking to be held by the famous Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon, Shannon's father who looked extremely distraught.

"I am sad to announce the bodies of the Batman and Shannon Gordon have not been recovered," Jim Gordon said wearily, his voice sounding tired as Wayne patted his shoulder consolingly, "We will continue looking for the bodies, due to a generous donation from Wayne Industries… But we have to proclaim both as…. deceased."

"Turn it off," Jonathan growled as he opened the door from the bedroom. He looked tired with red eyes and his hair messy. He was in the same clothing he was in the night before, still gripping that picture. Edward immediately pushed the button on the remote and the television flickered off.

"Sorry," he sighed giving Jonathan a small smile. Jonathan only shook his head and headed into the kitchen. Edward frowned, knowing he probably wouldn’t get anything out of Jonathan for a while. He stood and went to the front door, knowing the paper had probably arrived. Opening the door, he found it there with the bold headline glaring at him: Escape From Blackgate Prison.

__________________________________________________________

A/N: VOTE! COMMENT! FAN! Hm... Bruce Waynce is with Gordon... But he is Batman.. Shouldn't he be dead? Well, you'll just have to wait to figure that out! *walks over to Edward* Having fun with your house guest?

Edward: ...Who are you?...

Jonathan: *walks around corner and throws down his cup so it shatters* YOU! WHY ARE YOU RUNNING AROUND RUINING MY LIFE?! *runs at door* I WILL-

Me- *runs out into the open and vanishes behind the house*

Edward- Um, Jona-

Jonathan- Don't. Even. Ask.