22 -- Carefree Moments

Even though I've officially forgiven him, Miguel bends over backward to make his indiscretions up to me

Even though I've officially forgiven him, Miguel bends over backward to make his indiscretions up to me. One of his more unexpected surprises is a little orange tiger kitten to keep me company while he's at work, which he names Whiskey. Secretly, I loathe the damn thing—animals that claw have always scared me—but to his face, I pretend to be thrilled, just to acknowledge his efforts.

When he returns from work early one morning in the best of moods, I expect another disaster like Whiskey, but I'm in for a real surprise.

"Pack up some things. We're going on a trip."

I squeal. "Seriously? Where are we going?"

"I'm taking you to a resort in Colombia." He pulls me into his arms. "I figured we both could use a break. You'll love it."

When I get my travel bag from underneath the bed, I'm so excited I could scream. "What should I take?" I wrinkle my nose as I scan over my clothes in the closet. "Is it fancy?"

"Yes, five stars." He runs his fingers over my selection of summer dresses. "Just take some shorts and tops and don't forget your bathing suit. We'll buy you the rest when we get there. They have tons of little shops in the resort."

I took a virtual vacation tour through parts of South America and the beauty of the Colombian beaches stood out. It sounds like a dream getaway. "When are we going?"

"As soon as you're ready."

It doesn't take me long to pack, and thirty minutes later, the maid loads the bags into the trunk of the SUV. When I grab my purse, I hesitate. "What about my passport?" If I'm stateless, will it even work? What will Miguel do if he finds out?

Miguel, who is talking to someone on the phone, interrupts his call. "Don't worry about it. We'll be traveling on diplomatic papers. You don't need a passport."

On our way to the airport, his ear is glued to the phone as he makes one call after another. I take a deep breath and close my eyes.

He's just delegating his work to some of his men.

He has to or he'll earn his father's disapproval, but that doesn't mean he'll spend half of our vacation on the phone.

We're gonna have a great time.

The next damper is delivered as soon as we pull up next to the plane. Tomás, Ramon, and Bettina are waiting for us. Judging from the bags surrounding them, they are going to come along.

I slide out of the car and Bettina loops arms with me. "Isn't this great? It's the first time I'll be able to spend some alone time with Ramon since the baby. I'm so excited."

She looks incredibly pale and exhausted, and I have to agree that this trip will be good for her, even if I'd rather go alone.

"Where is Shauna?" I ask Tomás.