Chapter: Family

Iman placed a set of books on the counter and glanced at her watch. Her children had been homeschooled for nearly ten years and she was about to change that routine for Khadijah. The teenager was at a crossroads when it came to interacting with the outside world. Iman had protected the teen from the horrific taunts and assaults she had faced when Dawood had first been taken away. She couldn't go more than a few feet before being called a terrorist's wife and sympathizer. People she had known her entire life had suddenly become experts at terrorism and claimed that it was only logical that Iman KNEW about the attack beforehand and did nothing. 

     She hid this ugly side of society from not only her daughter, but her sons as well. Once Dawood had been taken away, the Hashemis and Iman made it their mission that their families would not be subjected to the hatred the perched itself beyond the barbed wire fences of their compound. Their lives had been uprooted by terrorism, but they would never allow that terrorism to reach their children. Khadijah was the first to be home-schooled with Ibrahim following soon after. Ruby had used her vast connections to find the finest professors and tutors to teach both Khan and Hashemi children. For nearly ten years, the children had never step foot in the general public. 

 Now, as she watched her teenaged daughter drag her siblings into the living room, she wondered how the young woman would react to what Iman had in store for her.  Having the young woman home-schooled did allow her to remain safe, but it had also kept her from learning how to interact with her peers and the outside world. Iman needed to change that so that Khadijah could face the world on her own. 

"Assalam alaikum, Mama," the three junior Khans rcited in unison before settling on their respective stools at the kitchen bar counter. 

"Walaikum assalam, my loves," Iman smiled and placed a plate of eggs, toast, and grits in front of each of her children.

"Mama, where are my books?" Khadijah asked with a frown before rifling through her brothers' books on the counter.

"You're getting new books," Iman explained simply before glancing towards the front door as it opened.

"Assalam alaikum, Aunt Iman!" Ibrahim called out before rushing inside. 

"Walaikum assalam, Ibrahim. Would you like breakfast as well?" Iman asked pleasantly.

"You should just live here, Ibrahim Bhai," Ismail chuckled before scooping up a spoonful of grits.

"You could live in our room!" Ishaq cheered, but paused once Khadijah growled at her brother. "Or not. Yeah, or not."

"Sit down, dude," Khadijah called out before kicking the fourth stool out from under the counter. 

Iman smiled as she studied Khadijah's scowl. Even though the young woman hated showing affection towards Ibrahim but, she her care and concern for the eldest Hashemi child was always evident. She watched as Khadijah embodied her father with her scowls and Ibrahim embodied his father, Ahmed, with his bright and cheerful demeanor. Iman knew that Ibrahim would be joining them for breakfast, since he usually did, and pulled out a readied plate for the young boy.

"JazakhAllah khair, Aunt Iman," Ibrahim beamed before digging into his food.

"I absolutely love you, Ibrahim. Look at his manners, you two," Iman began before poking the twins on their noses. "Why can't you two behave as well as Ibrahim?"