Chapter 2

I find myself back in my old house, with this Alex guy. He went with me as I walked around the whole place, and it's exactly the same, only this time, it's clean.

My bedroom didn't even change.

I haven't felt like somebody cares about me since I was eight years old, so to be sitting in this house again, with a mug of tea in my hands, staring into the fireplace, it's strange.

The strange guy drapes a blanket, one that my mother made, around my shoulders.

"I have lots of questions." I say quietly.

"Well, I'm not really on a time schedule."

I hesitate.

"How did you know my father?" I ask.

"I had a dream, after high school, to go to college and one day own a bakery, and I was on the side of the road trying to get money, and your Dad stopped by. I told him my story, how I always wanted to make something out of myself. He believed in me and paid for my college."

I frown, staring into my tea mug.

"Alexander Ross." I say quietly. "I remember my Dad talking about you to my Mom when I was a kid."

"Yeah." He whispers. "I loved Stephen. Still do. He was like a father to me."

"When you said that's what they want you to believe...who's they?"

"Coerce." He says quietly. "You seem like an opportunist, like you want answers." He says. "Coerce is a nasty group. They've sunken cruise ships, crashed trains, taken planes down. They find strong-willed people and blackmail them. I have all your answers in a letter, but I don't know where it is. Your father told me to find it and find you, and to take care of you and give you the letter. I couldn't find you, that's why I never took care of you, but I will find that letter. Tomorrow, maybe you and I can take a horse and go search your property?"

I hesitate.

"Okay. I'm moving in." I say.

"Well I live here."

I look up at him.

"Well this is my house. I don't trust you. You've gotta prove yourself. I don't know if everything you've said is a lie."

The house falls silent, and he and I stare at each other.

My parents were wealthy, very wealthy. They had a billion dollars to their name easily.

The house is huge, same with the land and the barn.

"The house is plenty big enough for two people."

With that, I down the rest of my tea, stand up, and wander down the hall to my old bedroom.

As a kid, I had a queen sized bed.

I take my shoes and jeans off and climb into bed.

<><>

Someone lightly touches me, ripping me out of sleep.

I'm on my feet in a second, my victim against the wall.

"Elizabeth, ow, ow!"

Alex.

I grit my teeth and step away from him.

"Sorry." I mutter.

I'm in a purple thong and a black tank top only.

"Why are you invading my space?" I ask, backing up to my bed, pulling my blankets over me.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you. I didn't know you were a jumpy sleeper."