Chapter 12

I didn't acknowledge my mother when I got back two days ago. It's Tuesday now and I still haven't seen her. I usually wait until she's gone before I get some food, then just go back to locking myself into my room. I don't want to meet anyone, let alone have a conversation. I first have to deal with the situation myself. Figuring out what's going on and how to make it normal again takes priority.

My phone is so full with unanswered calls, unfortunately none from Raphael, that at some point I turned it off. I won't answer anyway, so there's no need for it to be disturbing me constantly.

I haven't really been doing much, even thinking rarely goes beyond how much of an idiot I am. I'm empty and I don't know what to do about it.

What my instincts tell me to do, what Zach told me to do, I don't dare follow through with. I can't.

So I wait. I sit in my room and wait for a revelation that is likely to never come.

What does come however, is a decisive knock on my door, obnoxiously loud and seemingly unending. So I give in and open my door.

In the doorway stands Mary, the woman that has dubbed me her best friend with a name starting with a D.

I don't have time to not let her in as she lets herself in immediately, pushing past my much larger frame and just plants herself in the middle of my bed. Rude.

'So.' she just says, blinking at me with wide eyes, while I still stand holding my door in my hand as if to close it. Sighing, I do just that before moving myself over to my chair to sit there instead of my bed. Sitting on the bed would make it seem as if I actually want to have important conversations with her.

I don't answer her question that didn't sound like one, instead opting to just ask an unspoken one myself by raising an eyebrow.

'You didn't show up yesterday.' she opts to inform me.

'I didn't? Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware.' my tone is so snarky, I'm surprised myself.

'You are in one piss pour mood, mister.'

'You don't say.'

She laughs then.

'I kind of like you in piss-poor-mood-state. It's kind of adorable.'

I don't really know what to say to that so I just keep silent. This woman rarely makes sense, so I fail to see how beneficial it would be to entertain her weird ideas sometimes.

'So how was your weekend then?'

My head whips towards her faster than I ever thought possible, only to look into her curious stare.

'How do you know about that?'

'Oh, so it was the weekend then. Do tell.' she grins then. Evil.

She played me.

'Come on. Don't be angry now. It's not that hard to figure out. You were your usual broody self on Friday, so something must have happened over the weekend to make this out of you.' She widely gestures in my general direction as well, to emphasise her point.

'How is that any of your business exactly?' I opt to ask, since I don't really want to talk about it in the first place, let alone to her.

'It's not. But I thought you might want an open ear.' she says, dead serious this time. It makes me pause for just a second. Do I want to talk about it? Probably not. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't.

'Not really. But you're right. It's none of your business. So if you could leave...' I leave the sentence open, letting her interpret the almost command herself.