Chapter 73

Amelia peeked out of the wings on the stage. She easily located her family, sitting up in one of the boxes so that they could have a direct view of her. Everyone was dressed up in formal attire. Amelia stifled a giggle at the sight of Emmett, her burly, big teddy bear of a brother dressed up in a suit. He looked hideously uncomfortable, and both he and Jemima were alternating between glaring at Alice and huffing in indignation. Rosalie shot him a glare, obviously he was moaning a little too much for her liking. She looked stunning in a red, floor-length dress that brought out her pale skin magnificently. Jasper seemed to be at ease, and waved at her when he caught sight of her. Alice was bossing Bella around, who did not appear to be listening to her.

Amelia waved back at her brother, and smiled softly as a calm and serene feeling washed over her. Carlisle and Esme, who had been deep in conversation with Blythe, turned and waved at her as well. Their faces bore expressions of pure pride. Renesmee was sitting on Edward's lap and it was clear that he was showing her the dynamics of the concert hall, pointing things out and answering each and every question that his daughter asked of him. Amelia smiled tenderly at the sight. As much as Edward could be annoying, she had come to realise that he cared deeply for his family, and more often than not, disliked the lack of privacy that his gift gave him.

"Is that your whole family?" queried Valerie, coming to stand next to her.

"Yeah. My brother, his wife and their niece came along this time," she spoke, referring to Edward, Bella and Renesmee.

"I think I missed them at the mall."

"They went book shopping, lucky things," she said fondly, recalling the shopping trip.

"Your dad has excellent taste in dresses," Valerie commented. Amelia giggled and glanced up at her family. Esme and Carlisle were laughing, and Emmett and Jasper were mercilessly teasing him, "anyway, we had better head back. Simon will have a coronary otherwise."

They went to stand with the rest of the orchestra just as Simon started his usual pre-performance pep talk. He pulled Amelia aside just before the others got ready to go onto the stage.

"You alright, Titch?" he queried, his dark eyes imploring her to tell the truth.

"I'm fine, Grandpa Si. Just hoping it goes alright to tonight. I'd hate to mess up at a concert held in memory of my own mother," she chuckled.

"You'll do just fine," he reassured, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear and giving his special little girl a hug, "I still can't believe how big you are. In my mind's eye, you're still that cute little thing who insisted on giving us a performance of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

Amelia grinned. "Yeah, that was a long time ago, I'm afraid."

"They grow so fast," commented Simon, lost in a memory. He shook his head and led Amelia to the stage door where the others were lined up, waiting to lead on to the stage. An elderly gentlemen, who served on the board of the Benaroya Trust and helped fund the orchestra and the scholarship programme, went up to start off the concert.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the twelfth annual Abigail Theodore Benefit Concert. On this day thirteen years ago, the Seattle Philharmonic lost one of its best violinists in a horrific accident that also claimed the life of her husband, and orphaned their young daughter. Each year, we honour Mrs Theodore's memory by holding a concert in her name, the proceeds of which go to the Abigail Theodore Memorial Scholarship. Our top three competitors from the Washington Scholars' Competition held last week Tuesday will be performing with the Seattle Philharmonic tonight, and the top achiever will perform after the interval. Without further ado, please welcome the Seattle Philharmonic Orchestra to the stage."