[ C h a p t e r - T w e n t y - N i n e ]

Chapter 29

I technically ruined the plan…or my mother did. Instead of waking up at 6 o’clock and pretending to attend school like Jonah and I planned, my mother allowed me to sleep in until 8, an hour into the school day.

“Wake up, birthday girl,” my mother sang as she entered my room. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I’d been up all night on the phone with Jonah and then my father. I stayed up until 2 in the morning just talking to my dad. My dad was the first one to tell me happy birthday; he said he wishes he was here with us to say it in person but his job wouldn’t allow that. I told him that it was okay and that it’s only a birthday. I'll have plenty more in the future.

I groaned and laid back down, putting a pillow over my face. My mother just laughed. “Birthday girl breakfast is on the stove; you better hurry up or else Jer will finish it before you; it’s your favorite.”

I sat up immediately and rushed to the bathroom. After showering, I realized that I had to call Jonah. I checked my phone to see text messages from my friends saying ‘Happy Birthday’ and a voice mail that I’m scared to open from Mere. She tends to be loud about birthdays.

“You’re late, birthday girl,” Jonah said. Why is everyone calling me that?

I groaned. “I know, my mother let me sleep in. Can the plan wait until ten? I have breakfast on the table; it’s my favorite.” I grinned at the thought of eating my favorite breakfast and then spending the day with my favorite guy. Francis…kidding.

“Fine, just know that we’re going to be eating, too, so don’t eat too much,” Jonah told me and I rolled my eyes.

“That’s impossible,” I retorted and he laughed. We hung up and I ran down the stairs, or at least I tried but I was encased in a bear hug by my only brother, Jeremiah.

“Hello, birthday sister!” Okay, I prefer birthday girl. “How does it feel to be 17?”

“That’s a stupid question. I’ve only been seventeen for a few hours; besides, it’s not like you feel like you’re flying once you turn a certain age.”

“Oh yeah? Wait until you turn 18,” my brother patted my head as we walked down the stairs.

At the table, I was greeted with bacon, eggs, bagels, muffins, and chocolate chip pancakes. My mom went all out. She made pancakes for my idiot brother, but added chocolate chips for me. Remembering Jonah’s reminder, I groaned. Forget that! I dove into the plate of pancakes, placing three onto my plate before buttering them up and soaking them in the thick syrup. Thank you, Canadians.

After I finished eating, I felt stuffed and was convinced that I couldn’t move. “Well, I’m off to class. I’ll see you guys in two hours," Jer stood up and walked out of the house, grabbing his bag that was on the couch.

I realized that my mother allowed me to say home, something she never did. “Mom…why am I here?”

“Well, your father and I loved each other-,” I cut her off immediately, disgust taking over my features.

“No, no, no, not that! Please, not that. What I meant was why am I home? It’s 9:30 AM and it’s a Wednesday, meaning it’s a school day yet here I am, eating like a pig,” I explained as she stood up and walked over to the sink.

My mother shrugged. “I heard you talking to Jonah about skipping school, which I do not appreciate young lady, so I decided to allow you to sleep in and stay home- with my approval. You barely miss school and when you do, it’s because you’re sick, so why not?”

I was quiet for a minute. “Does this mean I can stay home any day?”

My mother scoffed. “Yeah, right.”