The Gods of Hogwarts

The only place Lily could go without hearing her name whispered along with James Potter's that night was her dormitory, and so that's where she was determined to stay. She set herself down on the bench by her window and braided her hair over one shoulder absently as she read her History of Magic assignment. It was after nine o'clock when there came a knock upon her door and she lowered the book to her lap. She waved her wand, "Alohamora," she declared and the locks clicked open.

Ali Prewitt stepped inside and closed the door behind her, hurrying across the room to join Lily at the window bench. She climbed up and they sat toe-to-toe. "Missed you down in the common room," Ali said thoughtfully.

"Sorry, I just couldn't face them - or him, for that matter," Lily apologized.

Ali nodded, "I understand."

Lily sighed and slipped a marker in her book so as not to lose her place. "I shouldn't have been so hard on poor Pandora," she admitted, "It really does feel like everyone in the whole castle is talking about what Potter's done. Of course, probably half of them are."

Ali shrugged, "I mean, gossip is slow this week so it's nice they've got something to talk about now, at least?"

Lily sighed.

"At least it keeps them from talking about me and Frank..." Ali murmured, blushing.

Lily looked up. "You and Frank? What about you and Frank?" Her eyes twinkled.

Ali smiled, "Well Frank stayed back from Hogsmeade on the weekend to help me with some homework and after we finished, we were talking a little bit, because we were the only ones still at Hogwarts, you know..."

Lily's eyes went soft, "Well that was sweet of him to help you."

Ali nodded, "Yes. Then we were talking of Quidditch and I mentioned I was thinking of having a go at one of the spots on the team this year and Frank offered to help me at practicing for try outs. So we went out on the pitch to practice a bit and it was really fun. We were laughing and really enjoying ourselves, and then when it was starting to get dark, we landed and I thanked him for everything and --" Ali's tiny, pixie-like body shook with excitement as she blurted, "I think I fancy him!" She turned pink.

"Did he kiss you?" Lily asked, frantic.

Ali was pink, "Nooo!" she squealed.

"But you want to kiss him, don't you?" Lily asked.

"Of course!" Ali answered, "He's so handsome, who wouldn't?!"

Honestly, Frank Longbottom wasn't a standard sort of handsome, and Lily couldn't help but think she wouldn't have personally ever used the adjective to speak of him. He wasn't a bad looking fellow, he was just sort of long and gangly for her taste. But it was clear by the wide-eyed twinkle on Ali's face that she saw Frank in a whole other light.

"You must keep me updated and tell me everything," Lily said, clutching her friend's hands in her own. She smiled, "I'm so very happy for you."

Ali smiled back, "I'm so very happy, too." She searched Lily's eyes a moment, then said, "Why did you say no to the Potter boy today?"

Lily groaned. "Aliiii," she whined, "You know why! He's deplorable."

Ali shrugged, "He doesn't seem so awful, really."

"Not you, too," Lily said, "I get this enough from Annalee."