Why Colton Haynes Wants You to Get Out a Pen and Papered

You've probably seen Colton Haynes and his pearly whites on MTV's Teen Wolf or CW's Arrow

You've probably seen Colton Haynes and his pearly whites on MTV's Teen Wolf or CW's Arrow. Or maybe you've caught him smizing in campaigns for Abercrombie & Fitch, Ralph Lauren or, most recently, for his new, limited edition clothing and merchandise line . Now, the 27-year-old is putting his smile to use in a new way as the face of DoSomething.org's Smiles for Soldiers campaign.

Smiles for Soldiers, which is encouraging thousands to write thank-you cards to military service members, tackles a cause that's near and dear to Colton. His sister served in the Air Force for over 15 years, including three tours abroad. So Colton knows firsthand how difficult it can be to be separated from the people we love while they're serving our country.

Beyond everything they do to keep us safe, military service members make the additional sacrifice of spending long periods of time away from family and friends. That means service members can feel disconnected from the people and the comforts of home. So those cards, those heartfelt expressions of gratitude, can help a service member feel connected to home and to the people and the country they serve.

Haynes starred in a sweet, silly and patriotic PSA promoting Smiles for Soldiers. He also talked to Teen Vogue about why the campaign, which is being done in partnership with Johnson & Johnson, is important to him.

Teen Vogue: Why is the Smiles for Soldiers campaign important to you?

Colton Haynes: My sister, Willow Mitchell, served in the Air Force for over 15 years. She did three tours overseas. I lived with her in high school, and she had to sacrifice so much at such a young age to help raise me, and has helped shape me to become the person I am today. This campaign is so important because it allows people to show their gratitude for those fighting for our country.

TV: What was your favorite part of shooting the PSA?

CH: I am not the best with reciting lines on camera, especially when I don't have ample time to prepare. We had to do each take about 30 times, so my favorite part was everyone laughing at me 'cause I couldn't get it right. It will make for an amazing outtake reel!

TV: What would you say to people to encourage them to participate in the Smiles for Soldiers campaign?

CH: I just want young people to be thankful for those in our military because they sacrifice so much in their lives to help the country as a whole. I want them to know that just sending a simple card thanking those who serve is such an important gift. It allows those serving to know that the hard work they've been doing means something to someone, which, in turn, gives them drive to keep going.

TV: What would you put in a thank-you card to a military service member?

CH: I have to admit ... I was very young and naive when my sister was in the military, and I didn't have something like the Smiles for Soldiers campaign to inform me. But if I could write her a card today, it would say: "Hey Wo! (My sister's nickname). I miss you so much. You have no idea how thankful I am for all you've done for me and I couldn't be more proud of you for serving our country for so many years. I can't imagine what you've been through, but you've persevered. You've given me a role model to look up to. If I had even an ounce of your bravery, I could conquer the world. Thank you so much for everything you continue to do, and know that your hard work will never go unnoticed! I love you so much and I will never stop."

You can write a card of your own through the Smiles for Soldiers campaign by visiting here.

Originally published at www.teenvogue.com