Chapter Ten ~ Chocolate

Charlie watched the rain drumming on the pavement outside the window, splatting in the overlapping, ever changing patterns in the growing puddles. Rivulets flowed down the glass panes. The rain had been going strong since yesterday morning, when Charlie woke up in Slade's bedroom, alone, and remembered the night before. The stroll with Slade. The kiss. Aaron. Slade had been very quiet on their way home. What happened between him and Mary, Charlie didn't know. Words passed, and Mary had been tiptoeing around Charlie since then, while Slade had disappeared. Charlie didn't know where he was, nor what had become of Aaron and Harry. The cold uncaring rain served her mood perfectly.

She could envision two possibilities. One: Aaron survived and would be coming after her again. Two: Aaron had died, and she had killed him. Both outcomes seemed equally gruesome. But another scenario was even worse: Aaron had died, and the police somehow learned that she was responsible. They would arrest her. After that, everything was foggy with dread.

"Charlie."

Charlie flinched and whirled away from the window. "Slade! Where have you been? I waited and waited."

"I bring interesting news." Slade smiled and waved a damp newspaper as he sauntered into the room, Mary behind him.

"You see, on the first page." He spread the newspaper on the table. "The police found two strange corpses yesterday morning in the Chinese pavilion. Nobody in the city knows who they are, but the police sources suspect a crime connection with New York. The known gang members in Denver are being interrogated." He stepped towards Charlie and put his hands on her shoulders. "Nothing to do with either of us."

"Harry," she said, suddenly realizing something awful. "I know why he died. I didn't shoot him but I killed him too."

"Charlie," Slade said firmly. "Didn't you hear what I said? You have nothing to do with this; it's all gangs business. No need to be so wan and scared."

Charlie shook her head stubbornly. "He was a cruel man; he liked hurting people. I'm not sorry he is dead. I just remembered: he had several metal teeth in his mouth. When I melted metal, they melted too. He probably chocked."

"Merciful God, Charlie," Mary whispered.

"What if someone finds out it was me?" Charlie persisted.

"There is nothing to find out," Slade said. "Whatever those goons got, they deserved it and more. Nobody will mourn them. They've probably killed and tortured too many people to count. You didn't have a choice; you protected yourself. You were a tiny slip of a girl, unarmed against the two gorillas with guns. You did what you had to do and you saved my life too. They would've shot me for sure if they got their dirty hands on you. They wouldn't have left a living witness."

"I know, but I killed them." She couldn't look Slade in the eyes, those clear gray eyes that had never seen violent death before her. He had been in danger, almost died, because of her.

"No, you didn't," Slade said. "Their criminal past just caught up with them, is all. That night, after you fell asleep, I went to the theatre. We didn't have a show, but actors sometimes come to the theatre on free evenings, to rehearse on stage. I was looking for you all over the theatre. Said you agreed to be my assistant on a permanent basis, we started rehearsing, and you went looking for a costume. A couple of guys, the juggler duo, even saw you. They told me you just passed in the left wing. You were at the theatre that night, don't you remember?"

"You established her alibi, just in case," Mary said. "That was clever."

"Yes." Slade gripped Charlie's hands tightly. "I rather think so myself. Charlie, look at me."

"Oh, Slade," Charlie breathed, returning the pressure of his hands. She raised her weepy eyes, expecting some sort of censure in his, a warning, but found only concern and affection. She blinked the tears away. "Thank you. I can perform now. Aaron is dead. They are both dead. I'm free." She laughed tremulously. She wasn't sure yet her luck could be so complete. Nothing to fear anymore, and she could have theatre too. "Why didn't you come yesterday? I waited the whole day."

"I was at work. I have a job to do. But now, you have to make it official and start rehearsing with me in truth. Will you?"

She nodded enthusiastically. "What about your comic man?"

"I wronged the fellow. Marlebone wasn't drunk. He had a stroke. His wife sent a message to the theatre. We didn't have a show yesterday either, but we have one tonight. And I really need you, Charlie. Are you up to performing on stage with me? Today? Say yes."

"Yes!" Charlie squeezed her eyes shut; she couldn't contain her happiness otherwise.

"We have to go to the theatre now and rehearse. We have the entire day before the evening show."

"I'll be performing? For real? Today? Every day?" Charlie almost sang the words.

"Today—yes. Every day—no." Slade chuckled. "Twice a week plus a matinee on Sundays. When my contract as the manager runs out in six months, we'll hit the road. How about that?"

"Marvelous."

"You've got your wish, haven't you," Mary interfered. "You sly rotter. You used these horrible events for your benefit. You're despicable, Slade. She is just a girl."

"A magician ought to look out for himself, Mary." Slade didn't display even a ghost of guilt or shame. "And so should a magician's assistant. Right, Charlie?"

"Right. I want it too, Mary," Charlie said. "I loved it. And I will have some tricks of my own, magic tricks. Promise me, Slade."

"I promise. We'll start brainstorming your metal tricks on Monday."

"You'll pay her too," Mary kept on.

"Of course. She'll be on the payroll, starting tonight, her first official show."

Charlie squealed in delight.

"I brought you something, in hopes you would agree." Grinning, Slade pulled a small flat wooden box out of his pocket.

"A gift? What is it?"

"Why don't you open it and see?"

Charlie tried, but the lid wouldn't badge. She stared at the box in consternation. It sported a tiny keyhole. "It's locked. Where is the key?"

"Do you need a key? Open it, Charlie."

Charlie laughed out loud, brushed her fingers against the keyhole, and pushed the lid open. Inside, on a bed of golden foil, lay ten elaborate chocolate candies, each one shaped like a flower. Charlie gasped. "I love chocolate. They are so beautiful, it's a pity to eat them." She grabbed one and staffed it into her mouth. "So good!" She moaned in ecstasy from the exquisite bitter-sweet taste. "Mary, have one. Don't you love chocolate? Thank you Slade."

Mary selected a small brown flower, with a tiny red dot on top. "Raspberry filling. Perfect," she said seriously after she chewed and swallowed. She regarded her brother with open curiosity, but he had eyes only for Charlie.

"You have a little bit of chocolate left on you lip, Charlie. Let me." Before Charlie realized what he intended, he wiped the smudge of chocolate off her lip with his finger and licked the finger clean, all the while holding Charlie's gaze with his own. "So sweet," he murmured.

Charlie's cheeks blazed, but she decided to be brave. "You haven't taken one yourself. Here, eat one." She picked up a chocolate and offered it to Slade, but when he made to take it, she snatched her hand away. "Huh-huh. Let me."

He lowered his hand to his side and closed his lips over Charlie's fingers, snatching the chocolate with his teeth and grazing her fingertips. Charlie giggled.

"Oh, go and rehearse already, you two." Mary turned away, shaking her head. "Shameless."

They went.