Chapter 3: Dreams Die, People Rise

Death is not the opposite of Life, but a part of it

-Unknown

----------------------------------------

May 5, 450 A.D.

When the sun is at its' highest peak in the day

The road from the town of Wolfpine to the city of Acomb in the country called Aceion

-----------------------------------------

"Oy! Baine! Come ere'." A dark haired man stares at the scene before him in utter bewilderment.

An exasperated sigh is heard before Baine grudgingly replies,  "What is it now father?"

"Come ere'. I found somethin'."

"What did you find? Another dead rat?"

"Naw'. She don't appear t' be dead yet."

"She?" Baine sighs again "Father, if it's dying just kill it. It will be nicer than bleeding to death."

"But I don' wanna kill her."

"Fine!" Baine explodes, tired of his fathers' crap. "I'll kill it!" He carefully dismounts his buckskin stallion. The horse tosses is head and stomps his hooves; clearly agitated by his rider. "Prymos, calm down. It's fine." Baine reassures his mount before walking over to his father. He peers out into the woods and searches for the dying animal. "Father, where is it? I can't seem to find it."

"There she is." The older man points towards a tree.

"Father." Baine pinches the bridge of his nose, tired of his fathers' antics. "That's a tree."

His father squints at the tree for a moment before smacking his son upside the head. Baine yelps, not expecting the hit. "Naw' behind the tree." He mutters crossly to himself while his son searches for the supposed animal.

Baine looks closely at the tree and finally see something strange. There's a large blob extending from the left side of the tree. "What in the..." he picks his way over to the blob and as it starts to form he sees that it's a blood bay horse. The horse appears to be a mare, from first glance, and of good breeding; long legs and a strong back. As Baine continues his quiet examination of the horse, he sees many tiny scratches on her legs and back. He also sees something behind the mare.  He leans closer to see what it is and leaps back in fright.

"Son! Whadaya see?" His father calls to him.

"Come here! I'll need your help!"

"I already told ya! I don' wanna kill it!"

"I need your help to save it!"

"Oh... I'm comin'!" As his father tramples through the bushes, Baine rushes to move the horse's neck, exposing the man behind. He has short, fawn colored hair and a lithe body; one Baine has rarely seen on a man before. He almost looks like a girl. But what would a woman be doing out in the woods without a male companion?

The body also has hundreds of lacerations coving the arms, and every other piece of exposed skin. Considering the short-sleeved tunic the man is wearing, Bain doubts he'll make it. There is already a pool of blood beneath the bodies, partly horse and partly human blood.

"Wha' is it son?" the older man has finally made it to his son. He looks at what his son has uncovered and quickly says a prayer. "Mother of... Who is it?"

"I don't know. He was underneath the neck of the horse."

"Well, why was he there?"

"How am I supposed to know?" Bain rolls his eyes.

"I don't know... you 'ere the one who found him..." The old man looks at his son with a lopsided grin. Baine sighs before quickly remembering that there is a life at stake.

"Ok. Father, can you help me get the boy onto a horse? I'm afraid that his horse cannot be saved."

"Damn shame." The old man sighs. "That's a good, strong horse."

"Apparently it wasn't strong enough." Father and son each grab a limb of the bleeding boy and carry him back to their mounts. The boy is tiny compared to the two older men. "We'll put him on my horse. Prymos can handle both of us." The horse in question snorts upon hearing his name. The men heft the small body onto the horse before re-mounting themselves. As they rode off, they didn't take any notice of the two large dogs that followed the pair along the path. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey ya'll it's Emersyn! Thanks for reading! Once again, I am looking for book title suggestions!!!!

If you don't give me any good titles I will rename the book 'The Doge Speaker' and if you don't give me any good covers, I'l replace the current one with a picture of THE DOGE!!! You have 2 weeks. Starting now, November 18, 2016 at 3:41:40 California time.

See ya later!

Emersyn