Not Friends

"From the moment we met, no part of me wanted to be your friend," I say, voice raw with emotion.

"I feel the same way," he replies flatly. "I've never really wanted anything to do with you."

"That's-" I start to say but my sentence falls to pieces like my heart. "That's not what I meant. I never wanted to be your friend, because I wanted to be so much more than that. I wanted to be a person you love. No, actually, I wanted to be the person you fell in love with. I wanted to be your favorite person- the one you told everything to, no matter how small or pointless. I wanted to be your safe place; your home. I wanted to protect you. (Because you were those things to me: my love, my person, my safe haven, my protector, my home.) I wanted to love you."

He opens his mouth to point out that I did in fact love him but I shut it quickly. "The way I loved you-from a distance-created by the barrier you put up between us doesn't count. That's not the way I wanted to love you."

"And I still do want those things." I breathe out and wait for his reply but he is speechless. And in these few seconds I see through the pane of glass he put up to separate us; I see the real him. He is no longer the person I fell in love with, and yet the yearning to love him stays. "But I wish I didn't."