Chapter 13

I woke up once more and glanced around, but the room was empty. I did my business and checked the bowls. I ate one cube of meat, but my stomach was starting to detest it. I thought longingly of the fruits that could be found in the main park. How long had I been here anyways?

I wasn't sure, but I had eaten at least three times, so I guessed three days from how hungry my stomach had been each time I woke up. I drank my fill of water; it tasted slightly different this time. There wasn't anything else to do, so I went back to curl up under the heat lamp. I seemed to really be craving heat with my injury.

Oddly enough, I didn't get tired immediately. Perhaps the water hadn't been drugged this time. I unfolded my good wing to stretch it out and catch more of the heat. Okay, this is boring.

I raised my head and examined the cage a bit more closely. It was built quite differently from the ones in the old lab. For starters, it was at least three times bigger, but I could not see the latches on the door. I did see a narrow sliding slot that allowed him to remove the dirt pan and clean it without entering the cage.

My inspection was interrupted as the door in the living room opened. I watched in astonishment as the two halves of the door parted and slid into the walls. I lowered myself down to make myself less conspicuous as three Kymari entered the room.

I doubted how effective my actions were considering that I was a ball of shiny golden scales and a grey cast under a glowing red heat lamp. They all glanced at me as soon as they entered; they definitely knew I was here and that I was awake. My usual visitor sat in his accustomed place on my left as I gave a low growl. The other two chose two chairs on my right side as they looked at me with interest.

Out of the pot and into the fire. Well, I am no longer bored. I really must be more careful what I wish for or complain about.

After a good look at me, they proceeded to pretend to ignore me. My blood memories told me that they were watching me by the way they held their heads. I kept my body flattened into the cloth padding as my ear tufts remained pinned against my head in warning.

"It is good to see that she is awake, and she seems to be recovering swiftly enough. Has she tried to flame you yet, Taureen?"

The one on my right shook his head. "Oddly enough, no. I halfway expected it, but so far it has just been growls and hisses, although she hasn't been awake much due to the amount of painkillers we have been giving her. I do find it somewhat unusual that she didn't even use fire when I cornered her against that tree."

Taureen, huh? An odd name, but who was I to comment? I had been a human who had been turned into a fire-breathing lizard. I should be a pro at odd by now.

The third one spoke, "I talked to one of those who regularly watched these guys in the morning, and we went over his videos. The flock has been short a gold one for the last four days, so it looks like they all gather every morning when they sing. Those two chicks you saw being carried away were with the flock this morning, so they are still around."

He sighed before continuing, "The oddest thing is that they have only been found in that one park. We thoroughly checked the other parks and contacted the other cities, but no trace of them has been found elsewhere. This city has the only known population, and according to our count, there are only a hundred of them if you count those two chicks and this female."

Taureen sounded somewhat frustrated. "That doesn't surprise me. I have checked with numerous people and sources, but next to nothing is known about their habits. Our treatment of this one is the first up-close look we have had of this species."

The one on my right leaned in closer to look at me, and I turned my head to hiss directly at him. He wasn't fazed by my threat. "She seems thinner than she did when I first saw her. She also doesn't seem to be eating much, and the meat looks almost untouched."

Taureen said, "We have noticed that. We originally assumed that they were carnivorous, but now we are considering the possibility that they may be insectivores or have some sort of specialized diet. No one recalls seeing them hunting or eating; occasionally, people saw them sunbathing on ledges or rocks, but that is about it. I have several things coming in tomorrow, so I can see if they pique her appetite. Several people are trying to watch the wild ones, but that sicora seems to have spooked them, and it is nearly impossible to get near them at this point."

The second one made a sound of disbelief. "I still can't figure out how any creature that attacks a sicora can be spooked," he said. "Come to that, I have never seen anything even attempt to attack a sicora, other than the largest predators. Everything else runs as soon as they see one."

The third Kymari replied, "Did you see that report from the lab?"

The second one nodded. "Yes, I find it quite interesting that these fire lizards have an antibody in their saliva that attacks the sicora's brain stem. I didn't think that anything could ever poison those nasty creatures."

There had been something in our saliva that caused those seizures? That was a surprise. Apparently, the secret agent had been correct about the cause of the seizures, despite how unlikely that theory had seemed at the time.

Taureen responded, "I am glad that it only seems to affect sicora and other relatives in that family tree. It has no effect on us or on most creatures."

A soft bell-like tone sounded, and I flinched.

"Come in." The door opened at Taureen's invitation and another Kymari entered the room. He nodded a greeting to those present before taking a seat near Taureen. An apple rolled out of his pocket as he sat down, and he put it on the center table.

The apple was slightly bruised, and judging from the animal scent on the new arrival, it had likely been meant as an animal treat. My mouth watered at the sight of the apple. I stared at the apple as the four in the room continued talking.

I lifted my head and took a deep breath. This cage had good ventilation, and I could pick up the scent of the sweet apple. I stared at the shiny red apple; it was a pity that it wasn't closer to the cage.

"Is it staring at the apple?" I glanced over at the Kymari who had spoken and realized that all of them were watching me. I tried to press myself closer into the soft cloth and growled my frustration at being taunted with the apple, as well as with my growing discomfort from being stared at.

Taureen reached over to pick up the apple and turned to the cage door. The second the door cracked open, I backed up against the back wall with a hiss. He opened the door just enough to place the apple inside before closing it again.

This is torture. The apple was finally within my reach, but they were all closely watching to see what I would do. My stomach clenched painfully, reminding me how long it had been since I had a decent meal. The smell was much stronger now that it was in the cage with me. My stomach grumbled in hunger and anticipation. My hunger was a driving force, and I couldn't resist any more.

I crept forward with my stomach brushing against the ground. I stretched out my neck until I could snag the apple in my teeth and pulled it towards me. I dragged the apple under the heat lamp and proceeded to devour it.

By the time I finished, I was completely stuffed and only the stem and seeds were left. I dumped them in the dirt box. Sated, I curled up as exhaustion once more tugged at me.