Chapter 10

Marinette looked around the empty streets, she and Adrien were the only people in sight.

"I don't get it," she muttered, "he said we were going to meet right here so he could pick up Louis."

'Stupid cat, did he forget to tell his partner to come pick up Emma.'

Adrien sighed. "The same goes for the person with Emma, why isn't her partner here already?"

He looked up to the sky, a mixture of purple and blue as the sun was almost completely engulfed by the horizon with only a sliver of its golden rays still shining through. He exhaled a long and steady breath, they had waited long enough and it was going to get dark soon. It wouldn't be safe for Marinette to wander the streets of Paris alone at night.

"I think we've been stood up." He gave her a soft smile which she responded to with a light blush, hidden by the darkness of the sky. As much as he wanted Emma back, he couldn't just wait around all night for Ladybug to show up. He would have to hope she brings Emma with her during their next patrol.

Adrien stood up and offered his hand out for Marinette to take. "What do you say, should we head back?"

She nodded and gently placed her smaller soft hand in his. With a light tug he pulled her up from the bench.

"I'll walk you home."

Marinette only nodded again, Adrien had no idea how much he was killing her at that moment. She kept her mouth shut, there was no way she was going to screw this up by blurting out something ridiculous and embarrassing herself.

Adrien smiled at the girl beside him as they walked. It was only the second day of their assignment yet he already felt as though he was getting a little friendlier with her, although her actions still confused him. Up until a few minutes ago she was fully engaged in the conversation they were having, chatting his ears off as though they were close friends, but now she was acting shy again. He never seemed to understand why she was so shy around him and only him. It didn't matter though, all he cared about was that he was getting the chance to grow a little closer to his classmate.

Before long, the two reached Marinette's bakery.

"Thanks," she mumbled, keeping her head down and trying hard not to stutter, "for walking me home."

Adrien gave her a pat on the shoulder. "It's no problem, I wouldn't want you walking home alone at this hour."

Marinette glanced to Emma who was strapped to Adrien's back. "Are you sure you're fine taking care of the doll tonight?"

He nodded and flashed her a smile. "You took care of Emma last night so it's only fair that I take Louis tonight. Besides, you look like you could really do with some sleep."

She blushed, suddenly becoming self-conscious at the obvious bags under her eyes. "W-well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow then!"

Adrien waved goodbye as she entered her house.

~.~.~.~.~

"I think it's dead."

"She's not dead."

"You sure about that?"

Plagg, like usual, was being a nuisance, flying around and examining Louis while insisting Adrien that he must have killed the baby.

Adrien sighed for what felt like the millionth time that night. "Yes Plagg, I'm sure that she's not dead."

"Oh yeah" The kwami challenged him. "Then why's it so quiet."