Chapter 7

A/N: So um...my reads doubled. AGAIN. ///./// 1.2k to 2.4k. I've no idea how to thank you guys T-T I love you all <3 and hence, the early update. Cheers. 

Chapter 7: Arguments, Apologies, and Chocolate Chip.

[Chip]

"Giselle...?"

My gaze switched to Xander, who had just spoken. His eyes were slightly wide in surprise and he was staring at the little girl who had just entered the bakery. 

I cocked my head to a side in confusion, and returned my gaze to the girl. 

"Cupcake?" I asked, nodding and shaking my head to initiate interaction. Ever since she came to the bakery that day for a cupcake, the girl had been coming to the bakery every other day with ninety-cents in her sling bag just for a cupcake. 

"Cupcake!" She nodded her head eagerly and exclaimed. Ignoring Xander's strange looks, I shuffled over to the cupcake display case, popping my head down to reach for the red velvet in the middle.

I leaned down and handed it to the sweetheart as she started to open her bag (with slight difficulty) and counted ninety-cent worth of copper.

My eyes darted to Xander's face involuntarily.

His face showed little sign of emotion—all except that his lips were drawn into a thin line, as if he was trying to hold something in. He crossed the bakery in a few easy strides and placed a firm hand on the girl's shoulder.

"Giselle," I could see the pressure he was applying on her fragile frame, "is this where you were going every day?"

Xander's tone was dangerously soft, his eyes suddenly fierce.

Giselle...Giselle? That name...it was the name on the cake we made. Even she, Giselle, recoiled from the taller man's hardened gaze, and she avoided it by looking at her feet—unblinking.

"Giselle, I asked you a question—" Xander had begun to raise his volume, and I could see that he was trying to compose himself. "Is this where you were going every day?"

He turned Giselle around forcibly, trying to get her to face him. I began to panic, and so did Rose.

"H-hey you can't treat a girl like that-" I intervened, getting between the frightened girl and Xander. I gently pulled Giselle behind me in a protective stance somewhat like a mother.

Xander's face froze over in that instant, and I could even feel the heat from his body welling up. "What are you doing?" He hissed gravely.

Suddenly, I couldn't find my voice anymore.

"I-I...you shouldn't treat Giselle like that." I managed feebly, trying my best to hold my gaze. I felt my lower lip tremble.

Xander clenched his jaw and before I could react, he shoved me aside, hard, and I crashed into the basket of baguettes beside the counter.

I felt a whimper escape my lips while Rose gasped, hurrying over to help me up.

Xander's mouth was slightly parted, and his eyes widened when he saw me bite my lip in pain. He almost looked guilty. Then his eyebrows furrowed, and another emotion appeared in his raging orbs.

"Chip, dear, you okay?" My sister hushed, caressing my head in a motherly voice. I nodded, and our attention was back onto the trembling girl and the fuming teenager.

"You. Come with me, NOW." Xander said firmly, but not as fierce as before, as he grabbed Giselle by her upper arm and led her out of the door.