Chapter 20

Matthew's office door was open, but he wasn't in so we kept going. Nathan had almost finished his training session, so we got to watch the last ten minutes of it. It was Raider training in case they met a zombie inside a building. It looked really interesting. I would have to ask Rick if he could show me some of it. I knew I wasn't strong enough to do many of the things his group was doing, such as flipping a table in front of a zombie, but it was really different from what I had been doing.

Once he was done we headed to the playground. I played with the other kids while Trish and Nathan mostly just sat on the bench and occasionally kissed each other. What was it with people and kissing so much?

Diane let me kiss her cheek and would occasionally kiss my cheek, but she refused to let me kiss her lips like I did with Mom. She said it was important, so I didn't question her. I was happy that she let me kiss her at all. I was even happier if she gave me a kiss.

I turned my head and dropped down to the ground to run towards Diane. Trish and Nathan craned their heads before spotting Diane approaching.

I gave her a big hug and she smiled at me, "I hope you are having fun. I just stopped by to let you know that I am heading to work out."

I was disappointed that she had to leave so soon, but I nodded, "I will stay with Trish and Nathan."

She grinned and ruffled up my hair playfully. I ducked my head and skipped backwards to dodge her. With another smile she turned and jogged off. I slowly went back to the kids playing. She would be getting training from Ace until late tonight. Perhaps when she returned she would tell me what was going on.

We went inside once I got cold. Trish and Nathan didn't really seem to know what to do with me. I guess that they weren't used to kids either. Trish tried to get me to go to bed a few times, but I wasn't tired so she eventually gave up. Nathan eventually left since he had to get up early tomorrow.

I grabbed a book and slowly tried to read through it while Trish polished and sharpened her sword. Trish would glance up at her closed door whenever she heard footsteps passing by, but I didn't bother. I was waiting for Diane and I knew that I wouldn't hear her footsteps.

If someone with footsteps entered the room I would be hiding under the bed. If the door opened with no footsteps, then it would be Diane. Quite logical really.

I lifted my head as the door handle turned and jumped off of the bed to run towards it. There had been no footsteps. I tackled Diane with a big hug. She didn't really seem surprised by my sudden appearance, as if she knew I was there. Trish looked startled though.

"Hey Laura, what are you still doing up?"

Trish replied for me, "She couldn't sleep and neither could I so we both decided to wait for you. What was that all about anyways?"

I was surprised by Trish's question, I didn't realize that she had been as confused as I was. I released my hug and held her hand while looking up at her. Diane ignored Trish's question as she crouched down so that her face was level with mine.

She spoke slowly and carefully, "There may be trouble coming. There are a couple of people on this base who want to cause fights. So, Laura, if anyone without a badge tries to get you alone don't go with them. If you want, you can tell them that you aren't allowed to talk to strangers. If they still try to talk with you, walk away. If they try to follow, run. If they still follow, run for all you are worth to where there are people and scream."

I blinked slowly. She had never warned me to stay away from people before. If she was expecting trouble, then I was pretty sure that it would come sooner or later. She didn't give warnings lightly.