[6] Chai Tea Latte

The drive takes longer than he expects it to, so long that all of Sunday evening passes by in a blur of travel from San Diego to Berkeley. Most of Eli's trip consists of wandering down the San Diego Freeway on I-5. The drive isn't anything special; the view is nothing that he hasn't seen before during a few of his trips to San Francisco, but this particular drive still sets him ablaze in the best ways possible. There's a weight on his chest that appears to lift a little more with each mile that passes.

       Eli's too giddy to do much more than sing and tap on his steering wheel as he drives. There's a sense of freedom in this journey that hasn't accompanied him in months, not to the extent he feels now, anyway. So, he lets loose. And fuck anyone who doesn't jam out to good music on long solo drives during an escape from everything that feels larger than themselves. It's his last spring break before he's supposed to begin putting the puzzle pieces of his life together. He's allowed to have this.

       He rolls into the city of Berkeley close to two in the morning. He's been here only once before, but never on his own, and he feels a mixture of exhaustion and excitement as he drives down Shattuck Avenue in the midst of downtown. The air outside is chilly, and there's something youthful about this city that Eli sees in every shadow of every building he passes by.

       Somewhere inside one of those buildings is Sebastian, but Eli's entirely out of his league here—in a new city, driving to the housing complex of a guy he's known for all of five months, and entirely unsure of what all this means (because he knows at this rate that it must mean something). His hands shake, the hum of the radio in the background seems to fade, and he stops when he gets to the address Sebastian provided him with.

       He waits for a moment before finally sending a brief text: i'm here, should i meet you on your floor?

       The response from Sebastian is almost instantaneous.

       Oh my god, are you ready for this?!?!

       Eli isn't sure he has the answer to that, but within seconds there's no turning back because Sebastian's lanky form is eagerly running down the entry steps of his building and rushing to Eli's door.

       Eli gets out of the car slowly and quietly. He's not sure why the awkwardness is creeping back into his system now, but it brings with it a stiffness to his bones and a dryness to his throat.

       Yet, the last of Eli's get the fuck out of here instincts go out the window when Sebastian throws himself into his arms with an incredulous laugh.

       "Holy shit, man." He sinks his long fingers deep into the back of Eli's neck, and Eli swears in that moment that if given the option, he would drive over five hundred miles again just for this.

       When they pull apart, moments later, Sebastian starts with, "You're like actually here."

       Eli makes a noise of acknowledgement, but he can't pull his eyes away from Sebastian. He was always in layers at the coffee shop—giant hipster (even though Sebastian always argues it) sweaters thrown over graphic tees. But now, Sebastian is wearing ratty grey sweatpants and a well-fitting t-shirt with some popular internet logo printed on it. He looks stripped down and bare despite being completely clothed.

       "God, you look so good right now," Sebastian says finally. It's quiet between them for a moment, and as if he can't handle the silence, Sebastian speaks again. "Like good for two in the morning, anyway."