Chapter 10

Enjoy this chapter! Things get wild when Silas gets angry! ;) <3

From Julian's Perspective

I watched in fright as Silas's eyes and coat shifted from a glowing white to a midnight black. She didn't stand up, pace, or growl. She just stood there and stared, her dark eyes boring into my brain. I could feel the power, unease, and tension that radiated off her.

One thing I knew about Silas from our months together was that she was always moving around. She never stayed in one spot for too long. When she did, you knew there was trouble. This was the worst I've ever seen. It seemed as if she wasn't even breathing.

I watched in silence as Silas stood up and slowly crept forward until she was looming over me.

Where did you get this information, her wolf asked, its mental voice cold and monotone.

Answer carefully, my wolf warned in my head.

"I," I gulped. "Some of our spies overheard Jordan and his Pack discussing it. And- and how to use it against you."

Even though I thought Silas was as mad as I would ever get to see her, her eyes and coat got even darker. So dark, in fact, that it seemed as if I were looking into a sheet of vantablack. Her pupils were nonexistent in the black and she seemed to be drawing the shadows close.

The spell was broken as she lifted her head and turned in a sharp movement and began to slowly walk towards the trees. I followed out of curiosity, and fear, of what she was going to do.

* * *

From Jace's PerspectiveI

I felt my Mate's anger like a burn to the hand as I savored the kill the Pack had made. It was an anger so dark, painful, and searing that I had to stop in my tracks so as not to let it consume me. It was an anger I had never felt before, full of pain and hurt and sorrow. I had no idea what had caused my Mate to feel this way, but I intended to find out.

I took a quick whiff to catch her scent. It was different this time, not like the smell of fresh pines and snow, but a smell of ash and smoke. That was strange in itself, a wolf able to change its scent. I knew it was Silas, so I knew to follow it.

I ran through the trees in a hurry, not wanting anything to happen to my Mate. I knew the Pack was following, to where and to what, they had no idea. They must think I had caught onto the scent of an amazing animal to be in the hurry I was in. I wish that was the truth.

* * * 

I arrived in a clearing to see Julian in his human form. His face was pale and his hands were shaking. He was looking towards the trees as if something, or someone, had left. I turned to look, but saw nothing out of the ordinary.

On my way I had stopped by the lake to grab my clothes. I quickly ran into the forest, shifted, and changed before going to Julian in the clearing.

"Julian," I said, my tone acknowledging him.

"Don't think about going after her," he said, his eyes wide.

"Why shouldn't I?" I asked. Silas was my Mate. I could do whatever I wanted with her.

"She's angry," Julian said. I watched his throat move  as he gulped. "You don't want to be around her when she's angry."

"And how would you know this?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

He didn't answer.

"That's what I thought."

I quickly turned towards the trees and disappeared, following the path my Mate had made out of nothing but ash and smoke.

* * *

I followed the path of ash and smoke until I encountered a wolf. This was a wolf I had never seen before, with a coat so black it seemed you were looking into an endless abyss of nothingness.

The wolf turned its head, sensing I was there, and turned its body to fully face me.

I stared into the wolf's eyes, black like the rest of its enormous body. Their eyes were full of a black so deep, dark, and piercing that I knew it was hurting. Or it was afraid.

I also knew this wolf was my Mate.

It was Silas.

* * *

From Silas's Perspective

I turned to face my Mate and watched as he observed me. I stepped closer to him until I was almost atop of his body. I let a growl escape my lips.

Why are you here. My wolf asked. 

I hadn't bowed or showed the Alpha any sign of recognition of his position in the wolf world, so I was surprised when he answered.

"Because you are hurting," Jace said, "And I am your Mate. I am here to help you."

How can you help me, I asked, moving close enough that we shared the same breath. 

How can you help me, when you don't know me.

His eyes widened. "I may not know you, but-"

I growled, a vicious sound that cut through the silence of the forest. 

The Alpha bowed his head, knowing I was in a higher position than him.

That's correct, Alpha, I said, my tone mocking. You don't know me. You can't help me. That's it.

"B-but I want to help you," he said sadly.

I snarled again and watched with a sickening satisfaction as the Alpha slid to his knees, unable to handle the power that came with the order to submit.

You can't help me, I growled as I pinned the Alpha to the ground with my limbs. Nobody can help me. 

"Why?" he asked, his voice carefully quiet.

Because I am the first of my kind, I said, watching Jace's eyes go wide with the realization of my words.

Because I am the first Full Blood, and there is nothing anyone can do to challenge me.

And, with that, I lifted my head and howled my challenge to the moon goddess, so high above.

And was pleased to hear a chorus of wolves howling their acceptance back.