The Performance

I wake up to the piercing rays of sunshine burning into my corneas. Stretching out and yawning, I try to assuage the grogginess of sleep. I finally open my eyes and greet the day with a groan. Mornings and I don't get along very well, and today is no exception. Throwing my covers off of me, I struggle to sit up. The siren call of sleep beckons me back to the world of dreams, but I ignore it and stand up.

I try to remember my schedule for the day as I walk over to my closet. I yawn again as I open the door and peer inside, searching for my outfit for the day.

But as soon as my hand reaches up to sift through the hangers, it pauses. Frozen midair, I stare at the crisp suit in front of me and a smile works its way onto my lips. Any remaining remnants of sleep quickly vanish as I take in the beautiful sight before me.

I finally move, grabbing the suit then jumping about my room. I'm probably more excited than I should be, but it doesn't matter. Today is a going to be an adventure. I can't remember if I'm scheduled for work or not today, but I don't care. Today is the day I do something fun for once in my life, something meaningful. Someone needs to be taught a lesson on equality and thievery.

I'm careful to leave the suit on my bed before I hurry down the stairs and see my aunt at the dinning room table. "You're late. And you're not dressed." She says, looking at me with that silly grimace she always wears. Usually just the look of it ruins my mood, but today I match it with a wide smile.

"Yes Aunty Dearest! I'm so very sorry, Aunty Dearest. I'll just eat quickly then be on my way!" I can practically see the gears working in her mind, wondering what sort of drug I'm on or what delinquent plan I'm executing.

Apparently she can't come to a conclusion, because she just let's out a dainty scoff and goes back to eating. I barely suppress a laugh before flouncing to my seat and grabbing food from the table.

I don't even pay attention to what I'm eating, I just scarf it down as fast as I can. My aunt's disgust at my table manners are tangible, but I think she's still too shocked form my joyous and dramatic entrance to comment on it.

As soon as the last piece of food is in my mouth, I practically run up the stairs. I get dressed as fast as I can and look out my window. My room is on the second floor, but I've snuck out more times than I can count, so I know one more time will be no problem. Before leaving, I take one last look at my appearance. The suit is simple, but it will work wonderfully. A wide brimmed hat covers my hair and most of my face. Sure, some men wear their hair long nowadays anyway, but it is better to be safe than sorry. I don't know if one could call my face "feminine," but it certainly doesn't scream masculine, so better to hide that as well. I take a deep breath and turn back to the window.

I hop out of my window and onto a skinny branch of a tree just a about a foot away. It sways with my weight and I scramble to the base as quickly and carefully as I can, trying to keep my clothing in place.

I make it to the base of the tree and shimmy my way to the ground. With a smile so big I probably look like a crazy person, I take off down the street, practically running. Who says you aren't crazy? That irking little voice says. I just shrug and mentally agree with it for once and continue on my way.

The town may be on the small side, but I'm still panting by the time I get close to the tall building. I slow down and catch my breath. When I continue I try to look like I belong, calming down my steps and putting away my smile.

As I approach, the building looms over me like a silent warning: Do not enter here. I convince myself there is no reason to be nervous, but a slight shiver runs through me. I'm still trying to decide if it was from excitement or nerves when I enter the building.