Chapter 17: The Women In His Life

Brotherhood of the North (Headquarters)

       "This is hogwash!" Murtaza slammed his bowl on the table, the bowl rattled and clanked against the wood. His tongue was raw and blanched from eating bean soup everyday. The other brothers looked at him wearily, some nodding in agreement and some sliding away from him.

          Daniyal rose his head and looked at the enraged Murtaza. "Brother Murtaza, be glad that we are fortunate of atleast this."

"Why?!" He roared. "Why Brother Daniyal? Everything was fine when Elias was Master, now in this Three Kingdom Peace propaganda we're suffering."

A round of grunts of approval went around the room. Without enough assassinations, the budgets were getting dry and they could feel the pinch of it. Murtaza stood up from his chair and walked to the pivotal corner of the room.

"And Master Elias ate with us, slept with us, stayed with us...where is Salim?" He opened up his arms gesturing around the room. "He's in the Empire's palace. Enjoying, feasting, sleeping on the softest sheets. He doesn't deserve to be Master!"

A spark was ignited in the cold night, soon to be a roaring, raging fire, its embers fuelled by rebellion and revolt.

***

Empire Palace

    "Who is that?" Nilija asked the quaint maid beside her.

         For a brief moment, the maid gaped at her in shock at her ability to construct perfect sentences in their language, even though she was a foreigner,

        "That; Your Majesty; is Prince Jellal's wife - Lady Ada."

       The Isle princess peered at the tall woman who argued with elaborate hand gestures and fervour with her husband. She saw her walk away exasperated, only to be followed by him. It tickled her curiosity as to how important she was to him, that an emperor would forget that he was an emperor in her presence.

          As their banter ended, he looked up to her, his green eyes darkened in hate and he walked away. Nilija ignored the bud of pain in her chest and continued with the rest of the tour of the palace.

       ***

          Ada when she reached her chambers, looked for Jellal. Jellal was laid on the bed and a cough racked his chest. He looked pale and sickly. Ada walked closer to him to see him coughing again. She touched his temple and it was hot.