Chapter 14[Edited]

She had lost herself in her thoughts again while gazing out the window, not being mindful of the tapping she did with her pen on the  desk.

She had attended an extra lesson which seemed to drag on.  She felt her energy drained from the day itself and wished it would get done already.

Most students were gone now and she was among the few that still remained. Just this once, she wish she had missed this lesson.

She let out a breath as she watched activity happen outside, from cars driving past and people walking in pairs, to others minding their own business, everything seemed better inside than outside. She let out a heavy sigh, watching the outside activity. Life seemed to happen outside her school, more than inside her class. Cars were driving past while people walked in pairs, and others minded their business.

 She shifted slightly on her seat when she noticed something from across the street. A figure stood leaned against an old truck, that seemed familiar to her and was facing her direction.

 She didn't want to assume much but the longer she stared at the figure, it felt like the person was looking straight at her.

 Her heartbeat began to pick up pace, sweat dripped from her forehead and her eyes widened as an overwhelming amount of emotions took over her mind and body.

She couldn't tear her eyes away from the window or that person. 

She should have looked away but couldn't.

Something held her back from doing it and the more she stared, fear seeped into her system bit by bit.

Question after question circulated in mind.

'Was it really him?'

'Had he finally returned to punish her for leaving him?' 

No, he was gone. They told her that he would be gone for a long time and that she was safe.

 There were times where he haunted her dreams and she wished that her experience was nothing more than a made up imagination, unfortunately it was her past. She felt the worst whenever those nightmares had their way and she felt her control slipping.

'No, it can't be real.' She shook her head, trying to fight back all these troubling thoughts.

'No, I need to get out of here. I can't be here any longer.' She thought.

The bell finally rang, startling Kate. She shot to her feet and hurriedly gathered her staff in her arms before dashing out of class.  She felt her feet move in an insane amount of speed, her heart almost beating out of her chest. As more troubling thoughts overtook her mind, her feet quickened.

She earned herself a couple of glances from a few students, which didn't affect her much due to amount of emotions that she tried to keep under control.

When she felt that she could finally continue on, she made her way to the next hallway, the last one where her her locker was. Unfortunately, this time she bumped into someone which almost made her drop her things. She felt a splash of water on her shoes and bit on her clothes.

Her face warmed up in embarrassment when her eyes glanced up and realised that she had bumped into the school genetor. 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" She blurted out.

The man didn't say anything but continued on cleaning the floor as if nothing happened. Shame filled Kate at that moment and she wish she could do something, to prove to the man that this was an accident. She watched him helpessly, not knowing what else to do. She had added more work for the poor man and that made her sad. When the man moved closer to wipe more of the spilled water, she made sure to move out of the way, not wanting to cause anymore trouble for the man. His worn out cap was lowered low and hid most of his face and she wasn't able to tell his expression.