Secrets of the File Cabinets

The office was dim and dingy, completely unchanged from it's dark gloomy mood of its morning counterpart.

I was lying on the leather chair, aimlessly swirling the chair without any purpose or care. 

I was free, free, free!

But I couldn't understand why I was waiting here in Mr. Ambrose's office. I thought that it was fear for my death at the hands of my vicious aunt, but I knew I was really just cheating myself.

Perhaps, dear Lilly, you are waiting of a very nice looking, not mention totally drool worthy person called Mr. Am - 

"I'm bored," I said aloud, determinedly not listening to my subconsciousness' naughty whispers. I stood up abruptly and shoved the chair back.

The leather swirly chair, true to its name, swirled back violently, knocking several books out of its shelves and slamming into an open file cabinet. The file cabinet jerked and swayed.

I put my hand to my mouth, hesitating on whether to cover my ears or not. The cabinet swayed and teetered dangerously then seemed to settle. I released a sigh of relief, letting my hands down, just as the cabinet gave a great lurch, and crashed to the ground.

I said a very unladylike word, and stopped.

Yes, the world had been especially unjust to me today, but perhaps...

I felt a tinge of excitement. On one of the spilled piles of files (hey that rhymes!) was my name: Lilly Linton. Yes, perhaps the world had decided to repay me with this new piece of discovery.

"Knowledge is power is time is money, Lilly!" I told myself, "so don't just goggle and go get that stupid file quickly!"

I tiptoed to the cabinet and snatched the file with my name on it. Curiously enough, the cabinet it had belonged to was named M.M. Now why was that familiar?

I rifled through its contents quickly, and stopped dead as I saw two very familiar photos of someone I intimately knew. I will not mention their name because I would probably throw up (actually because this lame author had a memory lapse and was too lazy to search the names up), but they were the people who had asked for my hand.

Cough, Auntie, cough.

Yes, my aunt had been very mad at the fact they both mysteriously disappeared. I would like to say that I had disposed of them by stomping their feet and kicking their asses into trashbins, but they had disappeared nevertheless. 

My aunt had been very suspicious of me around prospective suitors ever since.

My heart thumped as I read on.

Instead of the usual neat typed written document, this was writing, scrawled in a precise, elegant script. I shuddered as I read it.

Honestly, Mr. Ambrose couldn't have wrote it by hand! Each letter was clear and distinct, looking eerily the same. I shivered again.

But it was not this that had bothered me this time, no, it was what the words meant.

Top Secret Mission (honestly, who says that anymore?) - concerning Lilly Linton

Suitor #1 - Involved in several scandals with women, and 3 divorces due to various acts of cheating, money grabbing, and unfeminist acts.

Approach - Blackmail

Revenge - Got Karim to threaten him. Wet his pants in an alleyway. Job satisfactorily done.

I stopped reading, pausing to let my thoughts go haywire. The first thought that popped into my mind was that Mr. Ambrose never used satisfactory.

Never.

He always went, "Adequate. Acceptable. Unacceptable, this will be deducted from your wages of course. Yadda -yadda - yadda -yadda."

But satisfactorily? Never, he never used that cursed word. Obviously if he got satisfaction from it...

I knew it! I knew it! Told ya so Lilly!

Wait, I must calm down. He only got satisfaction from me because my working standards were higher. Yes, that's right. I read on, glancing around and feeling quite stupid as there is no one around.

Suitor 2: (No obvious problems unearthed. - Scratched out) Problem: Infatuation with Lilly. Unacceptable. (See, that's what he always says!)

Approach - Bump on the head (wait what?)

Revenge: Karim done his job wonderfully!!! Got amnesia and forgot all about Lilly Linton.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Wonderfully? Is the world upside down? Since when did Mr. Ambrose himself, Mr. Boring and Unhappy, every say wonderfully?

Before I could think about it more, a cold, clear cut voice spoke from the shadows, "Now just what do you think you're doing?"