Chapter Twenty-Eight

I opened my eyes almost forgetting where I was. I looked over my shoulder to see if he was still asleep. If he was I could grab the keys gently and lock him in and leave with Asher. Could we go back home so I could see my mother and my friends? Would I be able to get past everything that happened and have a normal life with him? I guess it didn't matter for now because Carter wasn't in the room and without the key there was no way to escape.

I got up off the bed and went over to the door. Should I wait until he comes back or should I knock on the door to tell him I'm awake? I wasn't scared of him that much anymore. I was actually almost sympathetic towards him. I knocked on the door kind of hoping for no response, but when I backed away the knob started to move. I didn't want to just stand there so I went to the window and admired the little amount of light shining through. It had to be later in the morning considering the brightness. I heard the door open and I turned around waiting for Carter to come in, but instead I saw Asher walk in wearing a dorky smile.

"Ash," I said not too loudly. I ran and put my arms around him, but he moaned in pain. "Sorry, are you alright?"

"Yeah, Ellie I'm good." He put his hand on my cheek and kissed my lips. "He didn't touch you, did he?"

I shook my head and looked away. "Are we ready to go? Where is he?"

"Shh," he put his finger on my lips. "We're not exactly leaving."

He grabbed my arms and pulled them back. I screamed but that didn't seem to stop him. I was becoming afraid of what he would do to me. This isn't the Asher I know. Tears streamed from my eyes as he pushed me into the other room. I would have followed him if he had just asked. I closed my eyes for a moment and when I opened them Carter stood in front of me. He tied me to the chair with zip ties and stood by Asher. He smiled but it wasn't the kind of smile that was normal, instead it was the smile of a psychopathic killer.

"What's going on," I said quietly. He must not have heard me. "Carter, Asher, what's happening?"

"He's joined my side love," said Carter as he laughed liked a maniac.

"What about last night, I thought we were okay," I cried.

"While you were sleeping," he walked closer to me and crouched. "We had a little talk and we got things straightened out. We're friends after all and you're just some girl."

"What do you mean just some girl, I thought you loved me." I felt desperate and I glanced at Asher. He didn't look at me, he just crossed his arms and watched in the other direction. Help me, I thought, why are you doing this?

"It was his idea," Carter said. That's when Asher finally looked at me.

"What idea?" I was beyond confused.

"He said that we should start over and put our past behind us. That includes you love."

My anger built up and I could feel the zip ties tightening as I put my hands into fists. How could he do this to me, after all that we've been through? He stood there refusing to make eye contact and I just kept getting madder. He tapped two of his fingers against his leg, quicker and quicker each time. He looked anxious and I just couldn't stop myself from yelling at him.

"How could you do this to me? I can't believe you," I screamed. My throat hurt from it but I didn't stop. "I loved you and you used me. I can't believe that you would do this. You told him to kill me?"