Chapter Ten

Cooper's hands were rough. I held one as if it were an antique I found on the shelves at a thrift store. Everyone else walked by it. I was the only one that noticed it. I dragged my finger down the middle of his palm, traveling down every line and every crack. No stone would be left unturned. I wanted to know this hand as well as my own.

"Who else is a werewolf?" I started off simple.

We were on our way to the college and for the time being, Cooper was my personal chauffeur. My poor baby, my truck was towed. Not to the local garage. The last thing I needed was for Jeff, from the auto-shop, telling the town "that Sam Rivera got in some accident." Then, someone would mention seeing me at the hospital and the story would escalate bigger and bigger until the news finally reached my parents, they'd be told I was driving off cliffs, shooting up drugs and quitting school.

We needed to meet up with Lucinda and Bash, who I haven't seen since Lucinda tried to rough me up. I doubted her opinion of me changed, but and I had hoped Cooper's presence would convince Lucinda to chill out. At least a little. Hopefully. I could always hide behind Bash.

Cooper chuckled. He peered at the road, waiting for his chance to turn right. "Did you want that list alphabetically or by age or by..."

I elbowed him, figuring he could take it. "I mean out of the people I know- oh god," I curled my hand into his and squeezed, "please tell me Gibson isn't a werewolf."

He smiled again and I wished we never had to leave this car. I scooted closer. He was never close enough. He shook his head. "No. He's not."

Grimacing, I said the one name I was dreading, "what about Jamie?"

"Werewolf."

"Ugh," I shuddered, but I wasn't surprised. No one was more of a dog than Jamison Glick. Now I wanted to drive to the pet store and buy that asshole a collar. "Bash and Lucinda are wolves, right?" I asked, even though all signs pointed to yes.

"Yes," he nodded. "Actually, they'll be my Betas."

"Which means?"

"They'll basically be my right-hand man and woman when I take over—" he corrected himself, "if I take over." Cooper took a deep breath and let himself relax against the seat. He rubbed my hand and it sent a fuzzy feeling down my arms. He said, " the tournament is coming soon and I'd like to keep myself... realistic."

"Pessimistic," I said and he smirked. He lifted my hand and placed a kiss on my knuckles. I titled my head, resting it on the seat. I continued, "you've mentioned the tournament a couple of times. I understand a tournament system. People keep facing off against each other. Winner by winner until the last two are standing."

"Which is true," he agreed. "But I only have to fight the last wolf. The title was given to me. It is mine, but the wolves flooding here are here to challenge me." My stomach did a flip, diving into the sinking feeling I've had since he started talking. I squeezed his hand. The thought of dozens of people fighting their way just to take a bite out of Cooper made me sick. Cooper wouldn't just be fighting anyone. He'd be fighting the best of the best or the worst of the worst and I couldn't stomach it.

Another kiss from him took me out of my daze. I looked up and we were parked in front of the Endless Coffee shop. Cooper was already unbuckled, putting his arm around my shoulders and he kissed the side of my head again. He rested his forehead against mine and whispered, "don't worry about that now. I'm not going anywhere again."

"Really?" I heard myself asking. It flew out of my mouth, right from my heart.

"This is where I'm meant to be, by your side," he said and with a chuckle, kissed me square on the lips. I smiled, kissing him back. I liked these small fluttering kisses just as much as I liked the long ones. Still chuckling, he purred, "but I will need my hand back."