| PROLOGUE

╔═══════════════════════════╗
REAPER
( prologue ) ╚═══════════════════════════╝

╔═══════════════════════════╗REAPER( prologue ) ╚═══════════════════════════╝

EVERYONE WAITED IN SILENCE FOR A NAME TO BE CALLED. They sat on the edges of their seats, some tapping their feet on the dirt in anticipation, other bitting their already chewed nails down to the nub.

The clicking of heels was all that could be heard at this very moment, the sound coming from the escort who retrieved a folded peice of paper from the large glass bowl that contained all the names of every female between the ages of 12 and 18 in District 4. The blonde haired woman offered a friendly smile to the waiting crowd before reading the name that had been fatefully chosen.

"Nadia Martell." Her chirpy voice spoke, a contrast to the absolute quiet surrounding the people gathered in front of the stage.

The girl who had been called, no older than 15, froze in her spot. Her breathing stopped as she stared wide eyed in front of her in disbelief; this couldn't be happening, not to her.

A group of peacekeepers made their way towards her, the teenager glancing at them in fear. She shook her head franticly as they grabbed a hold of her upper arms, tears building in her eyes. She screamed and fought with all she had, begging them to stop this.

She heard her name being shouted from behind her, and she knew the voice belonged to her best friend. He tried to run to her, to help her, but he was held back by three other peacekeepers.

In the end, she was dragged to the stage and placed next to the escort who gave the girl a sympathetic and pitiful glance.

The Martell child panted heavily, panic consuming her mind and body as her eyes flickered from face to face, searching for a familiar one to calm her down. Finally, her gaze landed on the only person she truly cared for in District 4.

Finnick met her wide eyes, mouthing comforting words to her. It's going to be alright. Everything's going to be fine.

Nadia nodded her head and took a deep, relaxing breath; she trusted him. She looked at no one, nothing else as the time flew by, his warm and caring blue eyes being the only thing keeping her grounded.

Soon, the peacekeepers once again took a hold of her arms, guiding her to a train that would take her to the Capitol. As she was being lead to her destination with the male Tribute, she glanced back at her best friend, completely unaware that this would be the last time she would see Finnick Odair in a long, long time.